Penny and Zeile for Astacio? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Penny and Zeile for Astacio?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Penny and Zeile for Astacio?

Postby timkell » Thu May 16, 2002 2:16 am

Hey all,

What do you think? Zeile is currently on my bench. Nice backup, but I'd trade him if necessary, of course.

My staff:
Big Unit
Matt Morris
CC Sabathia
Eric Gagne
Robb Nen
El Duque (what happened today? Geez!)
Josh Beckett
Matt Anderson
Brad Penny
Brett Tomko

So do you think trading Zeile and Penny for Astacio is worth it? Not sure if the guy will even go for it. Do you think Astacio and Penny are essentially the same, so the deal isn't worth it?

I feel better about Astacio. Just don't know if he's worth these two.

I also have Kearns, who, due to risk when Griffer returns, would be an even trade, but I tend to think there is no way the Reds will bench him. Why trade him now when he'll be worth so much more after Encarnacion is gotten rid of?

Help!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Thu May 16, 2002 2:31 am

Here's another one I thought of:
I give Dunn and Penny for Astacio and Ramirez

It intrigues me. Basically, I take on the load of holding Ramirez until he comes back in return for a minor pitcher upgrade.

Dunn looks pretty awesome, but like I said, I have Kearns. I'd prefer not to have them both on my team, as you suffer from those high highs and low lows.

Thoughts?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 2:37 am

Astacio certainly would be a nice upgrade over Penny; the question is: who would you be able to pick up to fill Zeile's spot? If you can get somebody useful, I'd do this; if you'd be left with somebody terrible, I'd stay put. A backup of Zeile's caliber - at least, considering the way he's looked so far - can be pretty valuable.

I agree with you about Kearns. He'll definitely be worth more if Encarnacion is dealt. However, he may go through some dry spells as well - as most rookies do - in which case his value may be near maximum now. Keeping an ear open for juicy offers can't hurt.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 4:05 am

Didn't see the second post...

I like the idea of trading for Ramirez at this point, as long as your team is good enough that it won't collapse if Ramirez takes his time returning. You're not just taking on the load of holding him, but the risk that he'll be at less than full effectiveness when he comes back. Still, an injury like this shouldn't hamper his effectiveness, and if you're looking to deal one of the young Reds, this looks like a good way of doing so.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby timkell » Thu May 16, 2002 10:58 am

Eric Hinske and Aaron Boone are available. Which one would you take if I drop Zeile? I doubt the owner will go for this, but it's worth a try. Boone just looks awful, but you assume he'd turn it around. Not sure if I want another rookie on my team, but Hinske looks good.

I think I might try the second trade. I feel like Ramirez will be his usual self when he returns. the risk is what makes the trade do-able, I guess! I don't think he would have give me Ramirez for Dunn before, but he may now!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 2:24 pm

I'd take Hinske over Boone. Hinske's looked very mature. Will he hit some rough patches? Quite possibly, but he should still perform better than Boone, who has never been a great fantasy player, and unless he pulls a Bret, never will be. Higher upside, better numbers so far... Hinske's your man.

Agreed - Dunn wouldn't net you Ramirez normally, but now, you have a chance. Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby timkell » Thu May 16, 2002 4:18 pm

Well, before any of this happened, the guy I proposed trades to picked up Hinske! He says he needs an infielder more, which kind of surprises me, but, hey, that's his prerogative.

No trade for me. :-C
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 5:12 pm

Too bad. :,-( Oh well, can't win 'em all. Besides, who knows - maybe it'll all turn out for the best. If Zeile keeps playing this way (he's at it again today: 3 for 4, 2r, 1hr, 4rbi so far), you may wind up more than happy he wasn't part of any package you traded away...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers