No fastball, no problem? (Brett Myers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

No fastball, no problem? (Brett Myers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No fastball, no problem? (Brett Myers)

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 am

Did anyone watch Brett Myers' start tonight? He had 10 strikeouts, so something must have been working for him...What did his velocity look like?
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No fastball, no problem? (Brett Myers)

Postby sandlotshrink » Sun May 04, 2008 9:21 am

Fastball was clocked in the low 90's when I watched during the 5th inning. Long toss must have worked. As for Myers, he's just a headcase that has disappointed year after year. Have to hope for a few more good outings to deal him for close to where I drafted him.
sandlotshrink
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ivanhack » Tue May 06, 2008 2:38 pm

cbs.sportsline

Brett Myers, SP PHI

News: The Sports Xchange reports that Phillies SP Brett Myers, who played long-toss and studied video between starts last week, trying to figure out where his fastball velocity had gone, seemingly found some answers on Sunday. Myers' fastball climbed back into the low-90s Saturday night after dipping into the mid-80s in his previous start, and he stuck with the pitch rather than relying on his cutter. The result: Myers allowed two runs in seven strong innings and struck out a season-high 10 batters against the Giants. "I looked back (at the radar-gun reading on the scoreboard), and once I saw what I wanted to see, I was able to keep throwing it and pitch off it," Myers said. "I was able to locate it and throw it enough where it set the rest of my pitches up."

Analysis: Myers hasn't been the dominant pitcher the Phillies hoped he'd be after a successful stint as a closer last year. He has a tough matchup in his next start Thursday at Arizona, but should be used in the majority of formats.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Facing the Giants probably helped his K total.

He's got good stuff but lots of times with Myers, it depends on the strike zone of the umpire and the aggressiveness of the hitters.
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates