Chris B (Rooted on First Base) Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris B (Rooted on First Base) Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris B (Rooted on First Base) Young

Postby rowe33 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm starting to think Chris Young just isn't interested in stealing bases after that fat contract he signed...one stolen base *attempt* in his past 24 games. I was counting him to at least try and steal but this is getting ridiculous...
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris B (Rooted on First Base) Young

Postby Little Lee » Sat May 03, 2008 8:56 pm

rowe33 wrote:I'm starting to think Chris Young just isn't interested in stealing bases after that fat contract he signed...one stolen base *attempt* in his past 24 games. I was counting him to at least try and steal but this is getting ridiculous...

I'm guessing in that offense that they don't need to risk it
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JMB05 » Sat May 03, 2008 8:59 pm

I second that, I have him as well, but until they starting losing or playing closer games, I don't see it happening.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby pangbones » Sat May 03, 2008 11:57 pm

He's on pace for 17, but they usually come in bunches. I have four potential 20+ SB guys on my team in one league and I have 0 SB's so far this week!! :-t (CBY is one of them). That's the way it goes sometimes. I think he's still gonna swipe over 25. But maybe your right. Maybe they aren't running him, because they don't ever need to.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby JMB05 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:10 am

pangbones wrote:He's on pace for 17, but they usually come in bunches. I have four potential 20+ SB guys on my team in one league and I have 0 SB's so far this week!! :-t (CBY is one of them). That's the way it goes sometimes. I think he's still gonna swipe over 25. But maybe your right. Maybe they aren't running him, because they don't ever need to.

I lost Cuddyer in the first week and stumbled into Carlos Gomez, saved my butt so far, but I need Granderson and Young to make it through the year.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Larsjam » Mon May 05, 2008 12:42 am

He started off slow last year also, just gotta be patient. From April to the end of June last year he had 8 SB's, but then from July to September he had 19 SB's.
C: S Perez
1B: Gonzo
2B: Cano
3B: Aramis
SS: Hanley
CI: Goldschmidt
MI: Craig
OF: McCutch Rios DeAza BJ
Util: Morales
BN: Harper Davis Machado
SP: Stras Gallardo Shields Moore Fister Buchholz Billingsly
RP: Hanrahan Perez Holland

DL: Ortiz Griffin Bailey
Larsjam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rowe33 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Larsjam wrote:He started off slow last year also, just gotta be patient. From April to the end of June last year he had 8 SB's, but then from July to September he had 19 SB's.

Yeah, I saw that but was hoping his higher OB% (almost a full pt higher than it was at the same time last year) would translate to at least trying for more bases early. It doesn't help that Byrnes seems to put the ball in play on the first or second pitch in every single at bat with Young on base.
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ab » Wed May 07, 2008 5:17 pm

[quote="rowe33"][quote="Larsjam"]He started off slow last year also, just gotta be patient. From April to the end of June last year he had 8 SB's, but then from July to September he had 19 SB's.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that but was hoping his higher OB% (almost a full pt higher than it was at the same time last year) would translate to at least trying for more bases early. It doesn't help that Byrnes seems to put the ball in play on the first or second pitch in every single at bat with Young on base.[/quote]

;-D

You just nailed it on the head there. I think that's a big reason for it.

Also, I watched the D-backs games yesterday and Grace was talking about how Bob Melvin was saying he was going to have to start giving more steal signs instead of just giving the green light. Sounds dumb for real baseball purposes, but great for us!
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rowe33 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:16 pm

I wish I could replace this recent HR hot streak with a single + SB for each homer...Young is turning into a slightly speedier Jack Cust. At least he's cutting down on the Ks a bit lately, except for today's 1 for 3, 1 HR, 2 K line so far.
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Fri May 09, 2008 4:44 pm

I'd compare him more to Adam Dunn circa '02 than Cust. I think he'll hit more bombs than Dunn did that year and steal at least 20-25 bags. Despite the .250 average he's easily a top 20-30 player.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates