Trade Snell for LaPorta ??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Trade Snell for LaPorta ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Snell for LaPorta ???

Postby jwhands » Wed May 07, 2008 2:13 am

I would rather have LaPorta over Hart in that lineup in the long term. Also, Cameron is an aging centerfielder, and Hart will probably make the move over. This opens up a spot for LaPorta in right. There won't be many at bats available this year, unless there is an injury, which is why I was asking if he was playing for this year or the future. LaPorta overall has a higher potential than Hart. Also, have you noticed that Hart has hit only 1 HR so far this year with only 4 sb's? Not really much for monster #'s.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Wed May 07, 2008 1:40 pm

major league teams do not run their business like a fantasy team..you will not see laporta until september call ups at the earliest and more probably after may of 09 in order to delay his arbitration clock..i repeat, he is not even on their 40 man roster
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jwhands » Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm

Thank you for your explanation on the difference between business and fantasy sports, but I disagree with your views in certain areas (especially where business in baseball can correlate with individual achievement more than with other sports). It also appears that others are agreeing with my thinking:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/fantasy/story/10817860

Although major league teams don't run their rosters like a fantasy squad, baseball is the one sport that will run it's squad the most based on individual accomplishments and statistics.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun May 11, 2008 11:58 am

jwhands makes a valid point. Lincecum wasn't supposed to come up as soon as he did last year, but he was so dominant in the minors, he had nothing left to prove there and the franchise was wasting its time and his time by keeping him there.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Braun was called up when he was 24 last year, and LaPorta is 23 so not much age difference obviously. I'm not saying their criteria is based on simple things like that, but I am trying to say I don't think it's a huge longshot. We're also seeing that the Brewers' line-up is pretty flawed so far this year, so they might welcome the offensive boost if that continues.

I'm no expert, but just throwing my two cents in... someone else out there might have a better idea of the Brewers' long-range plans for LaPorta (maybe Ender does or anyone who's been reading up on it or listening to interviews with the Melvin or Yost?).
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball