Is Cliff Lee for real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Cliff Lee for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Cliff Lee for real?

Postby rumball » Sat May 03, 2008 1:05 pm

What do you think about Cliff Lee? In 2005 he had a 3.79 ERA, 1.22Whip (under a hit per inning) and 18 wins. In 2004 his first full year he had 161 k's in 179 ip. Is he just consolidating those stats or is he going to fall back to earth and end up with similar #'s to 2006 and 2007?
rumball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Cliff Lee for real?

Postby Yoda » Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Pretty split in terms of people's expectations (see debate).

I personally think that he won't keep this up but one thing that he is doing different this year is that he is able to command his fastball very well. Also, he is back to throwing low 90s so that definitely helps him. I think a return to 05 levels is completely reasonable at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby anti elian » Sat May 03, 2008 1:47 pm

I think he's for real. Obviously he won't keep up his current pace, but I can see him being a top 10-15 AL pitcher. He's a lefty and he throws in the low-90s and simply not walking batters can go a long way.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat May 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I think he's real in the sense that he's a good pitcher. But he's not real in the sense of being a top 5 pitcher.

If you expect a slightly watered down version of his 2005 stats you should be happy. Something like 15 wins, sub 4.00 ERA and 140-150 K's seems likely.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby noseeum » Sat May 03, 2008 1:59 pm

He's for real. Forget about the normal stats, look underneath.

0.5 BB/9 innings. That's impeccable control. So maybe that creeps up to 2?
16 K/BB. What?!?!?! That's insane. So maybe it levels off to 8 or 6. Anything over 3 is solid. This is otherwordly.
7.6 K/9. Very solid. With impeccable control this is a force to be reckoned with.

Unless someone is offering you top 10 SP value, there's no reason to even consider trading this guy. You didn't pay much for him, so hold on tight unless someone else is willing to pay dearly for him. I'm not saying he'll end up in the top 10, but I'm very confident he'll end up in the top 20.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chipper » Sat May 03, 2008 4:15 pm

noseeum wrote:He's for real. Forget about the normal stats, look underneath.

0.5 BB/9 innings. That's impeccable control. So maybe that creeps up to 2?
16 K/BB. What?!?!?! That's insane. So maybe it levels off to 8 or 6. Anything over 3 is solid. This is otherwordly.
7.6 K/9. Very solid. With impeccable control this is a force to be reckoned with.

Unless someone is offering you top 10 SP value, there's no reason to even consider trading this guy. You didn't pay much for him, so hold on tight unless someone else is willing to pay dearly for him. I'm not saying he'll end up in the top 10, but I'm very confident he'll end up in the top 20.

I think he's back to form, but food for thought, his starts thus far have been against:

Oak (have problems with lefties)
Oak
Minn
KC
Sea

Not exactly the cream of the hitting teams. We'll see.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Sat May 03, 2008 5:42 pm

His rates and control will still be there when facing better teams. He's for real. His ERA is going to go up when facing better teams but he's still going to be a great pitcher to have this year and he's pitching for a team that will get him wins. He's definitely a guy I'm holding on to unless an amazing offer comes along.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby yourgodsdice » Sat May 03, 2008 11:11 pm

You guys are missing a big point not discussed yet. Lee is very injury prone. I'm just saying enjoy the ride while it lasts.
yourgodsdice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jondunc » Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 am

I'm a huge Tribe fan and I've seen all his starts this year and I'm just not buying it. I see him as a top 50 pitcher maybe, but that's about it. Trade him now.
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckbillgates » Sun May 04, 2008 11:58 am

Fun fact according to my stat-head friend. If Cliff Lee finishes the season with a 3.50 ERA (sounds good, right?), that means he would have an ERA over 4.00 for the rest of the way.

Still, he isn't going to have decent trade value until he dominates a solid team. If he has a good outing against the Yankees, then you can sell high. Otherwise, I think he's going to be a great #4 or #5 starter. I just wouldn't anchor my rotation with him.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers