Doumit - Impressive So Far - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Doumit - Impressive So Far

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doumit - Impressive So Far

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat May 03, 2008 11:00 am

Just some food for thought....I've always considered McCann to be the best overall hitter @ the C position. Doumit is actually outperforming him fantasy-wise with fewer AB's:

McCann - 102 AB's, 15R's, 6 HR's, 14 RBI's, .275 = Very solid (as usual)

Doumit - 82 AB's, 19 R's, 5 HR's, 12 RBI's, .366

That really blows my mind.

Not trying to make any sort of point in particular - just thought this was interesting enough to make a note of it at this point of the season....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Doumit - Impressive So Far

Postby yaboygino » Sat May 03, 2008 1:16 pm

Yeah hes been awesome im thinking he end up getting 520 at bats if he stay healthy all year and finishes with 290 22 hrs 77 rbis
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Sat May 03, 2008 1:20 pm

He always had the bat but couldn't stay healthy and the Pirates jerked him around quite a bit also.

It doesn't surprise me that he is hitting well so far.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat May 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Lol after my Posada went down with injury I picked up Doumit because he was the highest ranked catcher there. Looks like I made a good decision without knowing anything :-D :-D
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Doumit's been a more than welcome replacement for Jorge Posada so far for one of my teams. As Yoda said, he's had the bat for a possible 20-25 HR campaign somewhere down the line, but he's finally getting more playing time and nudging out Ronny Paulino in the process.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby MTUCache » Sat May 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Picked up Doumit a few weeks ago, after figuring he would be a good temporary replacement for Towles. As it turned out, Doumit's now the only catcher on my team.

Unbelievably productive to this point in the season. My only gripe would be the seemingly "extra" days off that Paulino gets behind the plate. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Doumit's probably missing an extra 10% of the ABs he could be getting, as compared to most full-time catchers.

In any case, he's definitely a bright spot on my team to this point.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Crystalstorm » Sat May 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I hope Laroche keeps slumping real bad,then Pitts.(If they were smart could play Doumit at 1B,the days Pauly was catching).
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat May 03, 2008 3:31 pm

I think it's logical to assume that the Bucs are purposely limiting his PT in order to extend his season, considering his past struggle with injuries. Considering the results thus far I don't think they should change the way they're using him. Sure, he misses a lot of games, but his production exceeds most others you could plug in there the way it is.....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Sat May 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:I think it's logical to assume that the Bucs are purposely limiting his PT in order to extend his season, considering his past struggle with injuries. Considering the results thus far I don't think they should change the way they're using him. Sure, he misses a lot of games, but his production exceeds most others you could plug in there the way it is.....

Yup.

Letting him play in the OF is probably not a good idea anymore if they want to keep him healthy.
1B probably wouldn't be such a bad idea against a tough lefty though. That way Paulino could catch and Doumit could play first and they could both hit right handed while LaRoche's goes to the bench.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 04, 2008 3:02 am

i picked up Doumit a few weeks ago when i saw Johjima wasnt hitting, and Doumit has been my starting C since then while im keeping Johjima on the bench hoping he can still turn things around.
one thing i dont like to see is that the Pirates are still giving decent playing time to Paulino while doumit sits on the bench. i would not bench LaRoche right now, hes always been a slow starter and hasnt had good numbers in April.

some Doumit numbers.
hes walking less than last season..
08- 4.7%
07- 8.0%
he is striking out alot less..
08- 14.6%
07- 23.4%
his HR/FB is up from last season..
08- 17.9%
07- 12.3%
im wondering if Doumit can keep this up. he has .385 BABIP ..but with a number that high that just means his overall AVG should come down, but he should still do well in other stats like HR?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Return to Baseball Leftovers