Would 'Average Projections' be a Useful in the Cafe? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would 'Average Projections' be a Useful in the Cafe?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would 'Average Projections' be a Useful in the Cafe?

Postby dannahann » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:43 pm

Each spring I maintain spreadsheets of the averages of all the projected stats I find. I update it once or twice a week withj any new material and updated numbers from the sources. (I find out when most sources put out their projections right here in this forum) ;-D I follow about 700 players and periodically add/delete a few when these industry sources drastically adjusts playing time or role (ie Aaron Boone, Lance Carter, a few weeks back)

If a tool like this would be helpful here, I was thinking of uploading it in a similar format to the excellent cheatsheet several members combined to create a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how to go about that or if I'm even authorized to? My thinking is to update the numbers here, whenever I update my own (once or twice a week).

Like any tool, average projections have their pros and cons. The biggest drawback (IMO) is that any truly peceptive 'outside the box' numbers from any one source will be watered down by combining them with several sources. On the flip side, it's simply an unbiased composite of what the mainstream industry sees for a player. They're not necessarily more accurate than any particular source but do provide a general guideline to make personal adjustments from.

The main benefit I see from them is that they are a compilation and annonymous. Whenever any given source posts rankings or numbers, several members ALWAYS jump on em saying how whacked they truely must be, as they don't agree with that member's preconcieved notions. I plan on simply providing the resultant averages (not the underlying numbers, source names, or their rankings). My thinking is that members can use these numbers, tweak them to fit their own beliefs, and then apply them to their own league nuances to come up with their own rankings. :-)

Good Idea??
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PacBellParker » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:56 pm

I think this is a great idea.

I am in a points league that has some scoring rules that makes it so I cannot use simple cheat sheets. (E.g., we count a hitter's total bases including walks, but subtract strikeouts. This means someone like Bonds becomes more valuable, but free swingers like Soriuano become less valuable.)

This means I need to make my own cheat sheets off of projections, but I can't seem to find reliable projections without spending money on a pay site.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dannahann » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:21 pm

I just wanted to bump this idea back up as the re are several users on right now. :*)
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby yellowdog » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:33 pm

Sounds good to me. If you can't upload them, how about an email?

mailto:yellak9@yahoo.com ;-D
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:25 pm

I'd be interested in the averages, without any predictions as a lot of leagues have different stat requirements as you know, but the averages could prove very useful.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PacBellParker » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:35 pm

Again, I would love to see (for hitters) total bases, sb, runs, rbis, bbs, and ks and (for pitchers) wins, losses, saves, ip, er, k, bb.

However, I know this would be a lot of work to put together.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnwesleyharding » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:28 pm

As you know, I think it is a GREAT idea!
"This is the only thing that really matters... keeps me going, retains my sanity..." John Wesley Harding
johnwesleyharding
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:09 pm

Great idea! Whose projections are you using? If the numbers are compiled by Cafe folks, we can definitely use these for the Cheat Sheets section; if you're drawing from other sites or publications, I'd be a bit more reluctant.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:44 pm

I think it's a Great Idea
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dannahann » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:55 pm

Arlo wrote:Great idea! Whose projections are you using? If the numbers are compiled by Cafe folks, we can definitely use these for the Cheat Sheets section; if you're drawing from other sites or publications, I'd be a bit more reluctant.

No Arlo, unfortunatly the numbers come from the mainstream industry free sources. Places like the RotoTimes, The Sporting New (during their free preview), the data files from xiefrank's draft software, Pouliot's partial projections on RotoWold, RotoChamps, FSRU, DraftHelp's cat leaders, the ZIP's stuff to name a few) I update them and get rid of the old stuff.

As for pay stuff, I'm not sure it's kosher to name names (liscensing agreements etc...) but I also scan in numbers from the two mags I bought....those will likely be eliminated as they become "old news"
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers