BJ Ryan/ Toronto Closers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

BJ Ryan/ Toronto Closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Ryan/ Toronto Closers

Postby yankeekd25 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Closer by committee system in Toronto? I see BJ isn't closing out the game tonight, and the Jays already used two different pitchers in the ninth. What is with that? I have Wagner and Sherrill along with Ryan, but I think I might need another proven guy since idk what's going on with BJ.
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Ryan/ Toronto Closers

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 pm

Don't worry about it. Ryan is fine, he's just not going to be used two days in a row for now. Because he got the SV last night, they are resting him tonight.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Knights » Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 pm

BJ Ryan is the closer - 100%.

However, he's less than a year from TJ surgery and is not yet ready to pitch on back-to-back days. So since BJ pitched last night, he was not available tonight... hence the closer by committee for tonight's game. But there's no doubt the BJ is the closer, and in another month or two will hopefully be good to go on back-to-back nights.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby yankeekd25 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Ahaha! Thanks guys. I'm only up one save for the week, so I couldve definitely used one tonight.
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bwagner112 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Does this new story about BJ from Fanball make as little sense to everyone else as it does to me:

The News
On May 10th, reliever B.J. Ryan will "celebrate" the one-year anniversary of his Tommy John elbow ligament reconstruction surgery, and the team reports while he is "gaining strength," he is still far from ready for return, according to MLB.com.

Our View
Jays manager John Gibbons reports the team is not stressing the return of Ryan thanks to work from pitchers such as Jesse Carlson and Shawn Camp. However, the team will continue to give updates and reports their top reliever is progressing, though it is slow.
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Ryan closed out todays game. I was happy when I saw Toronto would sit him, but I guess they changed their mind. Fickle organization...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Oatsdad » Sat May 03, 2008 5:57 pm

bwagner112 wrote:Does this new story about BJ from Fanball make as little sense to everyone else as it does to me:

The News
On May 10th, reliever B.J. Ryan will "celebrate" the one-year anniversary of his Tommy John elbow ligament reconstruction surgery, and the team reports while he is "gaining strength," he is still far from ready for return, according to MLB.com.

Our View
Jays manager John Gibbons reports the team is not stressing the return of Ryan thanks to work from pitchers such as Jesse Carlson and Shawn Camp. However, the team will continue to give updates and reports their top reliever is progressing, though it is slow.

That's an utterly perplexing report. Haven't they noticed he's been pitching in GAMES for a couple of weeks now? :-S
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 am

There is some understandable confusion with the situation (though not as much confusion as Fanball suffers 8-o), since Accardo, Downs and Carlson all have saves this season.

a) Ryan is the undisputed closer. He's 4-for-4 in save opps, and is pitching well.

b) Because Ryan is still working back from the TJ surgery, Toronto management does not yet want him going on back-to-back days. There is no timetable for when this will change, but he is constantly being monitored and — assuming no setbacks — chances will increase week by week after he's passed that magical one-year 'anniversary'.

c) Instead of naming a secondary or backup closer, Gibbons has been playing a pure matchup game with his other relievers on the days when Ryan is not available. A couple of times already he has split the ninth among multiple pitchers based on lefty/righty matchups, which makes it almost impossible to project who to start for fantasy purposes.

d) At the drop of a hat, Gibbons could render (c) moot by actually naming a regular guy to be the off-day closer. This feels unlikely, though, since the current plan is working and the Jays are down one southpaw in the pen on Ryan's off days.
Last edited by AKhomebrewer on Tue May 06, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby tmlfan4ever » Sun May 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Pure CBC behind BJ for the next month or so.

Carlson, Accardo and Downs will all see chances. It will be entirely unpredictable and based on match ups.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates