Gallardo Has Torn ACL!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gallardo Has Torn ACL!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gallardo Has Torn ACL!!!!

Postby jackie hayes » Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:So is he out for the year? I need to make a decision now so I can get a fill-in for Upton at 2B for a couple of days.

They won't make an official decision until the swelling goes down, so if you want to be absolutely sure, you'll have to wait a little while. I took the plunge and dropped him, anyway.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Siddo4ty4 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Ryno23 wrote::-X it. This news comes a day late; I would've put in a claim for Scherzer had I known this last night.

Damn, I feel your pain buddy. I was stuck in the SAME situation and decided to hold onto him.

This is horrible news... luckily I only own him on 1 team.
Siddo4ty4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Siddo4ty4 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:01 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:So is he out for the year? I need to make a decision now so I can get a fill-in for Upton at 2B for a couple of days.

They won't make an official decision until the swelling goes down, so if you want to be absolutely sure, you'll have to wait a little while. I took the plunge and dropped him, anyway.

100% confirmed on all Sports channels

His done for the Season.
Siddo4ty4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Fri May 02, 2008 6:46 pm

I picked up Buchholz to try and replace him. McGowan, Carmona, Snell and Cueto are out there too, but most people in the league aren't likely to pick up struggling pitchers.

I wonder if he made the injury worse by staying in and pitching another 1 2/3 innings.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri May 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Word now is that he's officially out for the year. Assistant GM says its a complete tear, and that he'll have surgery within the week.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Relentless » Fri May 02, 2008 7:54 pm

wildbill wrote:I picked up Buchholz to try and replace him. McGowan, Carmona, Snell and Cueto are out there too, but most people in the league aren't likely to pick up struggling pitchers.

I wonder if he made the injury worse by staying in and pitching another 1 2/3 innings.

No, he did not. I saw the game, and I remember he threw a fastball in the low 80s in the 6th. I knew right away that something was up and it was greatly due to the tear by that point.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Relentless » Fri May 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Well here, the the team doctor says something about the tear:

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker.com ... 209763212A
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Oatsdad » Fri May 02, 2008 9:02 pm

wildbill wrote:I picked up Buchholz to try and replace him. McGowan, Carmona, Snell and Cueto are out there too, but most people in the league aren't likely to pick up struggling pitchers.

Carmona is "struggling" at 3-1 with a 2.73 ERA? And while McGowan's only 1-2, he has a solid 3.57 ERA with 28 Ks in 35 IP...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri May 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Oatsdad wrote:

Carmona is "struggling" at 3-1 with a 2.73 ERA? And while McGowan's only 1-2, he has a solid 3.57 ERA with 28 Ks in 35 IP...

Carmona's struggling point is his 1.73 WHIP. I don't know how he managed to keep his ERA down so low. In his last 4 starts, he's given up 12 baserunners (4 BB), 13 (4 BB), 8, (1 BB, only outing of the year under 4 BB), and 10 (8 BB!!). For the year, his K:BB is 13:26. Either his ERA and wins will catch up to his lack of control, or he will snap out of it and get back to where he was last year. P.S. ranked 665 in Yahoo.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby anti elian » Fri May 02, 2008 10:15 pm

For those in keeper leagues who will eventually have to make a decision on Gallardo there is a very nice article on the DL Informer about his tear. To sum it up, if surgery is required -- in all likelihood it is -- the fact that it was his right knee and not his left is better for his rehabilitation. Because Gallardo throw right he plants with his left foot. Apparently the plant is more much strenuous on the ligament than the push and drive required from the right foot. So I guess be cautiously optimistic about his chances to succeed next season.

And by the way, in the article, suggested as a possible replaced: better than JC, Clayton Kershaw.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates