Rays will win AL East in the next three years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:11 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, Yanks and Sox fans have not been the only people talking about how the Rays winning the East is unlikely. Mweir hates both teams and admits that their finances are too big of an advantage.

Yes, please don't anybody look at my Celtics logo for an avatar and think I'm some kind of a Boston fan. I hate Boston...just lost a bet.

You are bringing bad luck to the BOS team.

Well I asked thedude last week whether he wanted me to take it down for karma purposes, but I've gotten no response. I'm perfectly content keeping it up and watching the Celts get beat by Joe Johnson.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat May 03, 2008 8:13 am

RocketsDWM wrote:

Anyways, has anyone mentioned that they might lose Kazmir this off-season? .

The only way the Rays lose Kazmir this offseason is if they trade him this offseason. I still say he puts up such a monster year that the Rays sign him to a long term deal this offseason to keep him in Tampa for several more years.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat May 03, 2008 8:40 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, Yanks and Sox fans have not been the only people talking about how the Rays winning the East is unlikely. Mweir hates both teams and admits that their finances are too big of an advantage.

Yes, please don't anybody look at my Celtics logo for an avatar and think I'm some kind of a Boston fan. I hate Boston...just lost a bet.

You are bringing bad luck to the BOS team.

Anyways, has anyone mentioned that they might lose Kazmir this off-season? I hope the Rays pony up and shell up some cash to keep some of their talent. With a new stadium looming, it would be encouraging to see them try to keep their young core. And this is coming from a Sox fan. They need to continue on this path by developing new talent and signing proven young players to reasonable deals.

Well, you can say that last part about any team. To be good, it always helps to get proven young players and develop new talent.

More importantly to the Rays, they need to figure out who it makes sense to spend the money on, because once all the rookie contracts begin to expire, they can't resign everybody. I agree with you about Kazmir, and I think they should lock up Shields for a while as well if they can. They could then base a lineup around Longoria, Upton and Pena, and look to sign maybe 1 or 2 major hitters to fill in with who they already have.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nsulham » Sat May 03, 2008 9:57 am

I would LOVE for the Ray to be at the point in three years where they are considered legit threats for the AL East title (notice I didn't say win it, I am a Sox fan after all :-b )

With that said though I'd love to see them reach that point, and the same goes for the O's and to a lesser extent the Jays who are on the cusp themselves, because I'm tired of hearing all the experts and pundits claim that whoever wins the East (be it Yankees or Red Sox recently) is tainted because they "beat up" on the Rays and O's, and to a lesser extent the Jays, although mweir will proudly (and gladly) tell you how badly the Jays have owned the Sox the last few years ;-7

If in three years you can tell me that coming into spring, the East is wide open, I'll take it. Competition brings out the best. I also love when downtrodden franchises see a reversal of fortune and start to win, either for the first time or again. It's cool seeing real fans that stuck by their teams during the hard times get rewarded with a good ballclub and I hope that for the Rays. Some good Rays people on here and I have a few close personal O's friends so I hope they can find their footing also.

As as has been stated before, NY and Boston will always be able to spend so they'll always be in the discussion but if the other three teams were to "make the leap", either because of prospects or what have you, I welcome it with open arms.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Sat May 03, 2008 10:34 am

If a tree falls in a forest...

If the D-Rays win the AL East...

Just under 19,000 fans a game and the team is battling first place at the end of April, and that is including a home series with the Yanks and BoSox? Nice.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat May 03, 2008 10:40 am

Tavish wrote:If a tree falls in a forest...

If the D-Rays win the AL East...

Just under 19,000 fans a game and the team is battling first place at the end of April, and that is including a home series with the Yanks and BoSox? Nice.

One good month of play does not erase memories of 11 years of crappy play. If the Rays are still playing at a plus .500 pace in July or so, you will see the attendance jump up a bit.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers