Rays will win AL East in the next three years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Fri May 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Alright, I'm sorry I hijacked the thread, but I assumed we were talking AL East baseball. I agree, Tampa Bay looks like a force within the next five years, but I think it's a little to early to count on the Red Sox. Tampa Bay has a lot of great prospects, but you're crazy to believe that they will all pan out.

So in 2010, the Red Sox lose Manny, what makes you think that they won't sign or trade for a replacement? The Red Sox have a lot of young pitching in the minors and the majors. You're also forgetting about Josh Beckett and Daisuke Matsuzaka. Clay Buchholz was arguable the best pitching prospect last year, Papelbon is the best closer in the league, Jon Lester has #3 starter potential, Justin Masterson has #2/#3 potential, and Michael Bowden has front line rotation potential.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 185
Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby DeadWinterDay » Fri May 02, 2008 6:03 pm

DeadWinterDay wrote:Bearing in mind that I have no idea what the Yankees are going to look like in 2 years, and that the Red Sox could possibly lose Manny, I see TB in the playoffs in 2010, this team they have right now is set up for success; and very, very young as a team .


And it's a good issue.

Here's a few notables (starters) they have under the age of 30...

Longoria: 22
Upton: 23
Kazmir: 24
Garza: 24
Jackson: 24
Navarro: 24
Hammel: 25
Sonnanstine: 26
Crawford: 26
Shields: 26
Gomes: 27
Bartlett: 28
Iwamura: 29
Pena: 29

Ok so 14 is more than a few.


Their current roster has more players 24 and under than 30 and over. (ok so thats a lie, they have 8 30+, but only 2 of them (Hinske, Floyd) are NOT relief pitchers...). Hinske is no more than that, only 30. Just some food for thought.

And lets not forget about Price or any of the other prospects who arnt MLBers yet.

88-74 this year.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 314
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bernie's front pocket

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby joshheines » Fri May 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Matthias wrote:If you just want to say: The Rays have great prospects. Their current crop of minor-leaguers will be better than the Yankees or Red Sox current minor-leaguers in 2010, that's fine. You have a decent argument. Or even if you just want to say, "The Rays look really good for 2010." But the title of your post is: "Rays will win the AL East in 3 years" and that's something different entirely.


If I said that, how many people would have opened the thread. Look, I know how to develop controversy while sparking a solid discussion on what is probably going to be a major story over the course of the next several years.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 535
Joined: 29 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:30 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, Yanks and Sox fans have not been the only people talking about how the Rays winning the East is unlikely. Mweir hates both teams and admits that their finances are too big of an advantage.

Yes, please don't anybody look at my Celtics logo for an avatar and think I'm some kind of a Boston fan. I hate Boston...just lost a bet.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Matthias wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I never said the Rays wouldn't be players in the East. But it's obvious that the Yankees and Red Sox are both moving in very favorable directions as well, and they have the power to outspend Tampa at will, which still makes them the favorites IMO.

The Jays also have a good, young team

With the rotation the Jays have, they would be a playoff team with a big hitter in the middle of their lineup. However, management would rather keep their "integrity" than win.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby Matthias » Sat May 03, 2008 12:04 am

joshheines wrote:
Matthias wrote:If you just want to say: The Rays have great prospects. Their current crop of minor-leaguers will be better than the Yankees or Red Sox current minor-leaguers in 2010, that's fine. You have a decent argument. Or even if you just want to say, "The Rays look really good for 2010." But the title of your post is: "Rays will win the AL East in 3 years" and that's something different entirely.

If I said that, how many people would have opened the thread. Look, I know how to develop controversy while sparking a solid discussion on what is probably going to be a major story over the course of the next several years.

joshheines wrote:Dear Yankee and Sox fans,

You are so deluded by your demand for glory that you not only miss the point of the post, but miss the point of mentioning prospects.

So you start a thread knowing you're going to start a controversy and then get all indignant when one starts? Ummmm.... ok.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby joshheines » Sat May 03, 2008 12:11 am

Start a thread knowing it will cause controversy? Yes. Get indignant BECAUSE a controversy is started? No. I became indignant because of the position taken by Yankee and Sox fans being so defensive about their prospects.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 535
Joined: 29 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 03, 2008 12:17 am

joshheines wrote:Start a thread knowing it will cause controversy? Yes. Get indignant BECAUSE a controversy is started? No. I became indignant because of the position taken by Yankee and Sox fans being so defensive about their prospects.

Heaven forbid.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24642
(Past Year: 816)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby Matthias » Sat May 03, 2008 12:18 am

joshheines wrote:Start a thread knowing it will cause controversy? Yes. Get indignant BECAUSE a controversy is started? No. I became indignant because of the position taken by Yankee and Sox fans being so defensive about their prospects.

But you're missing the boat. The controversy is not about the prospects. As I said earlier, if you just started a thread, "The Rays have the best major-ready prospects in the majors" you wouldn't have gotten nearly as much response. But that's not what you wanted. You wanted to start a controversy, by your own admission. The controversy is by saying flatly that the Rays will win the division in the next three years. And that would start a controversy no matter what team it was about.... Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Cubs, A's, Cardinals, whoever.

And then once you stir the pot, you say what you're really talking about the prospects and aren't people touchy.

Bad PR, man.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays will win AL East in the next three years

Postby Matthias » Sat May 03, 2008 12:19 am

bigh0rt wrote:
joshheines wrote:Start a thread knowing it will cause controversy? Yes. Get indignant BECAUSE a controversy is started? No. I became indignant because of the position taken by Yankee and Sox fans being so defensive about their prospects.

Heaven forbid.

Hater.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ensanimal, kab21, skjelstrom, TheTrith and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact