Pedro Alvarez - Projections?!? Comparisons?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Pedro Alvarez - Projections?!? Comparisons?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro Alvarez - Projections?!? Comparisons?!?

Postby rickyjay73 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:33 am

I haven't heard too much when it comes to the up-and-coming draft. Just how good are they projecting Vanderbilt's Pedro Alvarez (3B)?!? Who are his comparisons?!? Will he stick at 3B?!? What do they predict his time-table to be when it comes to making the MLB?!? I know a lot of different factors come into play...but I am just trying to get a realistic idea for my keeper league.
rickyjay73
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pedro Alvarez - Projections?!? Comparisons?!?

Postby J35J » Fri May 02, 2008 10:11 am

His injury this year seems to have kept people a little more quiet about him. He was touted as likely a top 3 pick in this years draft....not sure if he still is or not because there are a decent handful of other guys out there that are putting up great numbers this year after also putting up great numbers last year....should be interesting for sure. Just take a look at his numbers if you haven't already and you can get the idea of what type of player is is projected to be....whether he reaches that potential is a crap shoot at this early stage of his "career".
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby bigwords » Fri May 02, 2008 2:05 pm

I have high hopes for the guy. Think he's a good sleeper in 2010. Comparison? Hmm, how about Carl Yastrzemski? I wouldn't drop Yastrzemski for him just yet, but I'd keep a close eye on the Vanderbilt phenom.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Fri May 02, 2008 6:06 pm

He's been tabbed as pretty much the top pick since the start of his sophomore year and was considered on lines with or better than Gordon. Right now his defense at 3rd is good enough for him to stay, but depending on the team (Rays for ex.) they could switch him to another position like corner OF or 1B. He's an advanced college bat and those usually just take 1+ season(s) to reach the bigs, most likely will be up in 2010 at sometime. Even with the injury he should still go #1 to the Rays, the alternatives being another pitcher which the Rays already have enough of, and a H.S. SS that would take longer.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14 pm

hybrid wrote:He's been tabbed as pretty much the top pick since the start of his sophomore year and was considered on lines with or better than Gordon. Right now his defense at 3rd is good enough for him to stay, but depending on the team (Rays for ex.) they could switch him to another position like corner OF or 1B. He's an advanced college bat and those usually just take 1+ season(s) to reach the bigs, most likely will be up in 2010 at sometime. Even with the injury he should still go #1 to the Rays, the alternatives being another pitcher which the Rays already have enough of, and a H.S. SS that would take longer.

hybrid, as usual, nails it pretty much. Alvarez is possibly the best college bat in the last 10 years or so, and would be the top pick if his money doesn't move the Rays to Beckham.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MaudDib » Sun May 04, 2008 8:58 pm

I think he is top 5 right now. A lot of people see Tim Beckham going number one and the the two SP's and Alvarez going somewhere in the next three picks.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue May 06, 2008 12:34 am

30 HR with .300/.360/.500

Seems fairly reasonable. I'm as confident he can hit 30 HR in a MLB season as anyone else currently in the minors & that includes Matt LaPorta & Jay Bruce.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball