John Lannan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Lannan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Lannan

Postby yaboygino » Fri May 02, 2008 2:02 am

What can anyone tell me about this guy...i was just reading about him on yahoo and saw that he has 5 outta 6 quality starts and noticed hes still a FA in my league......any good info???
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: John Lannan

Postby siQ_innovation » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 am

He's had a pretty good stretch so far. K'd 11 against the Mets. I'm thinking he must have some good stuff to do that. I was thinkin that I should pick him up for the short haul just to see if he could keep this up but so far, I like what I'm seeing over some other pitchers in my rotation. I'd consider giving him a go if your rotation is letting you down.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri May 02, 2008 2:19 am

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the 11 K game is something of an outlier in his small, five-start sample (not six). The other games were all 4 or fewer K's.
That said, Lannan may be a worthwhile option for those in need of pitching. Just be aware that he's backed by the Nats' offence ... and 11 K isn't going to happen every time out.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 am

yaboygino wrote:What can anyone tell me about this guy...i was just reading about him on yahoo and saw that he has 5 outta 6 quality starts and noticed hes still a FA in my league......any good info???

Here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby horatio » Fri May 02, 2008 3:11 pm

He shut down the Braves on the night Smoltz got his 3000th K, I kind of wish I would have grabbed him for a spot start tonight against Pit.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Take it for what you will, but here is Brad Evans at Yahoo's take:
John Lannan
'08 Stats: 30.2 IP, 2 W, 2.64 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 24:14 K:BB
Market Value: Strong Buy (all leagues)
Lowdown: Chase Utley better hope he doesn't run into the new and improved Lannan this year. The 23-year-old southpaw, who shattered the current NL home run pacesetter's hand last July, is quickly evolving into a must-own No. 4 anchor in 12-team mixed leagues. The Nationals' minor league pitcher of the year in '07 boasts a slick-moving 90-91 mph fastball, sinking two-seamer, change and developing curve. His command could be more desirable (4.11 BB/9), but his ability to induce abundant groundballs (54.8 GB%), whiff hitters (7.04 K/9) and keep the ball in the park (0.59 HR/9) widens his margin for error. Lannan's extensive video research and his comfort level with catcher Wil Nieves have also been very influential in his meteoric rise. The Nationals have backed Lannan with San Francisco-like run support (1.90 RS/9), which means wins will be rare if the trend persists. However, the lefty's stout strikeout and ERA totals are for real. Classify him alongside upstarts Jair Jurrjens, Shaun Marcum and John Danks.
Fearless Forecast: 180 IP, 10 W, 3.63 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 159 K
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Oatsdad » Fri May 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Jurrjens or Lannan - any preferences? I need to replace Gallardo...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri May 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Oatsdad wrote:Jurrjens or Lannan - any preferences? I need to replace Gallardo...

jair by a mile. he plays on a better team.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Oatsdad » Fri May 02, 2008 5:54 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Oatsdad wrote:Jurrjens or Lannan - any preferences? I need to replace Gallardo...

jair by a mile. he plays on a better team.

Yeah, but the Nats have my hometown loyalty! :-D
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Howie » Fri May 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Take it for what you will, but here is Brad Evans at Yahoo's take:
John Lannan
'08 Stats: 30.2 IP, 2 W, 2.64 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 24:14 K:BB
Market Value: Strong Buy (all leagues)
Lowdown: Chase Utley better hope he doesn't run into the new and improved Lannan this year. The 23-year-old southpaw, who shattered the current NL home run pacesetter's hand last July, is quickly evolving into a must-own No. 4 anchor in 12-team mixed leagues. The Nationals' minor league pitcher of the year in '07 boasts a slick-moving 90-91 mph fastball, sinking two-seamer, change and developing curve. His command could be more desirable (4.11 BB/9), but his ability to induce abundant groundballs (54.8 GB%), whiff hitters (7.04 K/9) and keep the ball in the park (0.59 HR/9) widens his margin for error. Lannan's extensive video research and his comfort level with catcher Wil Nieves have also been very influential in his meteoric rise. The Nationals have backed Lannan with San Francisco-like run support (1.90 RS/9), which means wins will be rare if the trend persists. However, the lefty's stout strikeout and ERA totals are for real. Classify him alongside upstarts Jair Jurrjens, Shaun Marcum and John Danks.
Fearless Forecast: 180 IP, 10 W, 3.63 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 159 K

Strong buy in all leagues? I've never really heard of Lannan before this blurb, do you guys agree with it?
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers