Scherzer RP on Yahoo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scherzer RP on Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scherzer RP on Yahoo

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm sure this has been talked about before with other guys but I think I missed it. I understand when players pitched the year before in relief, but I don't get why a guy making his debut and has been groomed as a starter gets the RP tag. Does a position player making his debut come up on Yahoo as Utility? That doesn't make much sense to me and weekly league owners can't start him on a two start week unless they want to sacrifice saves (in my league I can't play him at all because we have rules that make you play a pitcher only at their major league role). I just want to know if it's consistent that a debut pitcher always starts out as an RP. I don't remember it being that way.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scherzer RP on Yahoo

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:34 pm

well scherzer was called up to be in the Bullpen initially. plus Clement was called up last night and labeled UTIL. it kinda sucks but it's consistent
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 10:25 pm

Clement got UT status because he played last year- enough to qualify at DH and that's it. It seems to me when I picked up Bailey last year I could start him right away and same goes for Braun at 3B. But, I might be wrong.

And if the reason Scherzer got RP status was because he was brought up to throw in relief that's not consistent. He was a starter all the time in the minors and when players are going to change position Yahoo waits until they get the games needed (like Braun in OF).
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 pm

jfg wrote:Clement got UT status because he played last year- enough to qualify at DH and that's it. It seems to me when I picked up Bailey last year I could start him right away and same goes for Braun at 3B. But, I might be wrong.

And if the reason Scherzer got RP status was because he was brought up to throw in relief that's not consistent. He was a starter all the time in the minors and when players are going to change position Yahoo waits until they get the games needed (like Braun in OF).

Having spent way too much time lately looking at the relevant code, I can assure you that at no point does the eligibility determination take into account at all what you did in the minor leagues.

Scherzer is a relief pitcher because it was publicly stated that he was being brought up to be a relief pitcher, and in fact when he was brought up, he was used in relief.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby JoshExley » Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
jfg wrote:Clement got UT status because he played last year- enough to qualify at DH and that's it. It seems to me when I picked up Bailey last year I could start him right away and same goes for Braun at 3B. But, I might be wrong.

Having spent way too much time lately looking at the relevant code, I can assure you that at no point does the eligibility determination take into account at all what you did in the minor leagues.

Scherzer is a relief pitcher because it was publicly stated that he was being brought up to be a relief pitcher, and in fact when he was brought up, he was used in relief.

Flashback. Weird.
Feels like you've said this before... :-D
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 pm

I said I'm sure it was brought up but I couldn't find anything searching for Scherzer RP Yahoo or RP yahoo.

So, now that it's publicly stated that he's a starter is that going to be changed?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu May 01, 2008 11:40 pm

Players in the game with positional eligibility need to earn other positions. Scherzer will need to earn SP eligibility. Pitchers require 3 starts to gain eligibility as a starter.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Yoda » Thu May 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just give players their minor league position rather than trying to guess what the team will do? A lot less headache and bitching from people.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 11:46 pm

I'm don't mean to bust your chops about this but I don't really think that's right. It was assumed that he would be a starter sometime this season sooner rather than later. Those guys should get SP,RP status. Most weekly league owners are going to miss three starts because he pitched one game in relief. Just my humble opinion.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri May 02, 2008 12:23 am

There's always the P postion, so unless you have 5 other starters scheduled for Monday, it should be fine. Unless your league has some interesting lineup configuration.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers