Hafner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hafner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hafner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 08, 2008 5:43 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I just traded *for* Hafner. Traded Kotchman for Hafner straight up in a 14 team mixed redraft league.

Purely a speculative pick, but I don't mind a good ol' fashioned sell high buy low. I picked Kotchman off the Waiver Wire at the beginning of the season so ;-D .


That's a good buy low. No real risk attached. ;-D

I'm going to send the guy who drafted Hafner ahead of me, "forcing" me to pick Brandon Webb, a muffin basket.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21935
(Past Year: 672)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Hafner

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm

muffin basket :-]

Guys, do you think Hafner is worth holding on to in a 10-team league if you have a decent replacement at 1b? (i have Kotchman there...)


I tink slomo is right -- he's nothing but a 25 hr guy right now, and they are a dime a dozen on the waivers. Only difference is they are hitting 50-100 points higher than pronko...
Image
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1550
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hafner

Postby Montana » Thu May 08, 2008 7:22 pm

The Mighty Trow wrote:muffin basket :-]

Guys, do you think Hafner is worth holding on to in a 10-team league if you have a decent replacement at 1b? (i have Kotchman there...)


I tink slomo is right -- he's nothing but a 25 hr guy right now, and they are a dime a dozen on the waivers. Only difference is they are hitting 50-100 points higher than pronko...



As terrible as Hafner's been.........I still think his name carries enough cache that people are still gonna be able to pawn him off on others, and get decent returns for him....

If I could.....I'd be targetting James Shields type pitchers for him.........or adding him in packages along with one of my sell high guys, to upgrade at another position.
Image
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1284
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hafner

Postby Peeig » Thu May 08, 2008 10:01 pm

I have to agree with Montana....................I am in a 10 team lineup league on Yahoo (with OBP and HLDs so it is 6 X 6).............and I am trying to grab Hafner on the cheap, with hopes of a mini hot streak, so I can trade him off for something better............now is a nice time to grab him and stash until you can move/play him............because everyone and their mama is down on him.
See more dumb thoughts that I have at http://mrdeliciousgambling.blogspot.com/
Peeig
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Second City

Re: Hafner

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri May 09, 2008 3:27 am

I knew that Hafner will fall to me, but I was scared enough to draft Berkman over Beltran and Carlos Lee, so I'll have a 1b all goes wrong.
It did.
Im shopping Hafner for 2 weeks now, and still nothing.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hafner

Postby stumpak » Fri May 09, 2008 9:45 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:I just traded *for* Hafner. Traded Kotchman for Hafner straight up in a 14 team mixed redraft league.

Purely a speculative pick, but I don't mind a good ol' fashioned sell high buy low. I picked Kotchman off the Waiver Wire at the beginning of the season so ;-D .


That's a good buy low. No real risk attached. ;-D

I'm going to send the guy who drafted Hafner ahead of me, "forcing" me to pick Brandon Webb, a muffin basket.


I would rather have Kotchman. And there is risk attached, namely that Hafner will destroy your team's BA. whie providing little more than Kotchman in terms of R, RBI and HR (in aggregate, I still think Hafner could wind up with more HRs). I guess this make sense if you think the Hafner of 2002-2005 will rise like a phoenix, but the proponnents of this view dwindling fast.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Hafner

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:59 am

I'll repeat my sentiment. There's no way he suddenly just returns to being a 40 HR, .300 hitter.

Upside:
.260, 25 HR, 95 RBI

Downside:
Reduced playing time, .220 avg

Is there a point in even taking a chance on him by "buying low"? To me he is an absolute lost cause. The Indians should rest Vmart more by DHing him along with using that spot to rest their real stars more often, like Sizemore.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hafner

Postby stumpak » Fri May 09, 2008 10:56 am

slomo007 wrote:I'll repeat my sentiment. There's no way he suddenly just returns to being a 40 HR, .300 hitter.

Upside:
.260, 25 HR, 95 RBI

Downside:
Reduced playing time, .220 avg

Is there a point in even taking a chance on him by "buying low"? To me he is an absolute lost cause. The Indians should rest Vmart more by DHing him along with using that spot to rest their real stars more often, like Sizemore.


This is more or less my view as well. Another way to put it is that Hafner has morphed into to the new Sexson. In roto, there is no real upside that justifies the likely negative BA impact. Inevitably he will fall down the batting order, at which point he will be a marginal contributor in terms of HRs and RBIs but a deadweight in terms of BA and R (and of course SBs). What is to like there?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Hafner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 09, 2008 11:58 am

stumpak wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:I just traded *for* Hafner. Traded Kotchman for Hafner straight up in a 14 team mixed redraft league.

Purely a speculative pick, but I don't mind a good ol' fashioned sell high buy low. I picked Kotchman off the Waiver Wire at the beginning of the season so ;-D .


That's a good buy low. No real risk attached. ;-D

I'm going to send the guy who drafted Hafner ahead of me, "forcing" me to pick Brandon Webb, a muffin basket.


I would rather have Kotchman. And there is risk attached, namely that Hafner will destroy your team's BA. whie providing little more than Kotchman in terms of R, RBI and HR (in aggregate, I still think Hafner could wind up with more HRs). I guess this make sense if you think the Hafner of 2002-2005 will rise like a phoenix, but the proponnents of this view dwindling fast.


Well, I still think Kotchman will only stick as a serviceable third tier 1B and if he's just riding the pine most times for your team, I'd take a chance on Hafner. I wouldn't expect 40 HR, .300 at all, but he could still post 30 HR and a .270 BA. If I had to go any higher than Kotchman, I'd stay clear of buying low on Hafner though.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21935
(Past Year: 672)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Hafner

Postby woodson_28 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:49 pm

The Mighty Trow wrote:
Guys, do you think Hafner is worth holding on to in a 10-team league if you have a decent replacement at 1b? (i have Kotchman there...)



Hafner was dropped in my 10 team league about a week ago. He cleared waivers fine, and is now just sitting in the FA pool. He's got some good company in the FA pool in my league too: Sheffield, Zimmerman, Cueto, etc...

10 team leagues are just so small...
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 890
Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, GRIN, illitodyboaky and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Cincinnati
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Tampa Bay at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact