Deciding which closers to start? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Deciding which closers to start?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deciding which closers to start?

Postby chipper » Thu May 01, 2008 5:36 pm

I am in one league where we only have SP and RP spots. I have 4 Closers, but only 2 spots to use them in. It's a fairly small league with a lot of bench spots. Saves are pretty valuable in the scoring, so I keep all 4 guys and just rotate them through.

My question is, what's the best way to decide which ones to start in a given day?

I've been going by which teams would seem to have the best chance to win, but have been getting burned with leaving at least one save on the bench pretty much every day.
Would it be a better idea to start the guys where the matchup looks the closest? (ie) The game will be decided one way or another by a small enough margin to grant a save.

Weird question I know, just thought I'd get the Cafe's opinion.

Thanks
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Deciding which closers to start?

Postby NZ Eff » Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Always start the guys whose team has the best chance of winning. Despite comments to the contrary there is a strong correlation between winning team % and save ops. for a closer.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 01, 2008 5:47 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Always start the guys whose team has the best chance of winning. Despite comments to the contrary there is a strong correlation between winning team % and save ops. for a closer.

I don't think I've ever read this. Link?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:55 pm

I also have 4 closers and only 2 RP spots, I usually just stick with my 2 best unless the matchup for another closer looks like it's going to be a real close game. For example, I started Gagne today since it was Gallardo vs Zambrano and I figured it would likely be a close game.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ndkarp » Thu May 01, 2008 6:40 pm

I always look for more low-scoring games between 2 quality pitchers; teams like Detroit and Yankees that will likely win a lot of games don't tend to get a lot of save chances because of the great hitting and erratic pitching.
ndkarp
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu May 01, 2008 6:41 pm

I'd just start the best 2 closers all the time.
If you have time on your hands, I suppose you can look through the game-logs and bench a guy if he pitches 3 days in a row.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby chipper » Thu May 01, 2008 6:52 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:I also have 4 closers and only 2 RP spots, I usually just stick with my 2 best unless the matchup for another closer looks like it's going to be a real close game. For example, I started Gagne today since it was Gallardo vs Zambrano and I figured it would likely be a close game.

I guess that's kind of my question.

Go with the guy who's team looks like they should win (requirement for a save)
Or go with the guy who's matchup looks the closest (3 run game also requirement for a save)

As far as just going with the best closer, it's tough because 3 of the guys are Lyon, Gagne, and Soria. I think Soria is the best pitcher, but the Royals can go weeks where they only win a game or two, even though they are better than other years. So there really is no distinct "better" option out of my guys.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby foeplay » Thu May 01, 2008 7:15 pm

I have 7 closers on my team with 5 spots (two of my Holds guys became closers :( ), most of the time I just sit the guys that are facing power offenses or have pitched multiple days in a row.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 01, 2008 7:23 pm

I'd tip the closers that give me the best combination of the probability of getting a save because of playing on a "quality" team, the probability of a closer's team frequently getting into games decided by 3 runs or less (i.e. K-Rod), and most of all, the closer that provides the best stats across the board. I normally have only 4 closers at most in my leagues and with 4 spots, I really don't have to worry about having to sit them unless I have 3 or more starters going that day.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 pm

If you're a gambler, the lines posted on the games are often strong indicators of teams winning particular matchups, as well as predicting how close the game may be.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers