100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking the GMs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ranking the GMs

Postby Yoda » Thu May 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Hey not all of those moves were bad! Garcia was a decent trade. He was gone and those guys were all well thought of, they just haven't panned out. Winn for Foppert was fine, Winn wasn't in the plans anymore so you might as well get something for him. Sori for HoRam was a great theory (reliever for starter) just poorly executed. But the others were bad. Beltre was a great signing and I think Batista was a good signing too, but yeah the track record isn't very good. I'd definitely like to see him go but I don't think he's the absolute worst GM in baseball.

Well Beltre was an ok deal. He is nowhere near what they expected though. Plus they should have drafted Lincecum, a local product, over Morrow. :-D

Personally I would argue that Beltre is probably underpaid. If they were expecting 50 HRs a year then no, they didn't get that. But if that's really what they were expecting, then they're morons (so... that's probably what they expected !+) ). And they should have drafted Andrew Miller over either one of them. :-D

I'd argue that Beltre's first two seasons were a flop. He was probably worth the money last year and it remains to be seen how he does in 08, 09. Like I said, the contract will be fair by the time his tenure is over.

How can you prefer Miller to Lincecum or even Morrow? Miller is a two pitch pitcher with massive control problems. He'll get better but I don't think I'd want him over the other guys.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Thu May 01, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm really not that high on Miller, especially over Tim.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu May 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Yoda wrote:How can you prefer Miller to Lincecum or even Morrow? Miller is a two pitch pitcher with massive control problems. He'll get better but I don't think I'd want him over the other guys.

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time I'd probably take Kershaw, with Lincecum next. However, at the time, the screwup was not taking Morrow over Linc but rather taking Morrow over Miller. Miller was the better prospect, a better fit for the team/park (lefty), etc., etc. He just wasn't "signable" since the M's are one of the teams that won't go over slot with their draft picks... That is a piss poor reason to pass on the best fit for your team, especially when you have the money you just don't want to upset the stupid commissioner. :-t
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu May 01, 2008 4:07 pm

JP got robbed.

Any discussion about GM's that never get their teams in a playoff race, embarrasses the team in the public eye repeatedly, makes poor player decisions, builds a brutally weak farm system, and throws money down the toilet on worthless contracts simply has to start with him. There is no excuse for this oversight.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby redstorm41 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I still Bowden is the worst GM in baseball. The inability to trade Alfonso Soriano when contenders were ready to throw the kitchen sink to acquire was inexcusable and a definite head scratcher. His biggest problem to me is his inability to put together a decent pitching rotation. Hill is the only one on the staff that should be in the majors, they released John Patterson (who was making next to nothing) without a trade of any kind. Since the Rangers were desperate enough, they could have traded him for an arm or two in the minors. Kearns has been average, and maybe dealing for Dukes and Milledge could pan out, but he needs to develop his farm system better (drafting Detwiler is a start), look to build for a decent rotation, and bring in an offense for goodness sake. If he wants to, many have previously mentioned this on the board, try to deal Dmitri Young, get some value in return, let NJ man the 1B spot, and clear the logjam. But will Bowden do this, of course not.
redstorm41
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 01, 2008 10:51 pm

#29?

Sabeans good buddy, Ned Colletti.

Pierre/Schmidt signings are already hideous hideous hideous, and we may end up adding Andruw Jones and Hiroki Kuorda to those , but it's too early. One of the most retarded GMs if you put a cheque book in his hand. I'm just waiting for the big signature belly-flop trade (hopefully it involves Oakland). }:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby RC » Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 am

mweir145 wrote:JP Ricciardi deserves to be last simply for his comments on a radio show last night.

He accused the fans wanting Barry Bonds here of selling their souls for a guy who may not have anything left, and tried to act like the organization and himself were some kind of moral compass protecting the city from a bad, bad man. Wow, I'm lucky to have guys like JP in my corner protecting me.

Then, when questioned why the team only uses one of the best defensive shortstops in the league in a pinch runner role, he argued that they didn't sign David Eckstein to sit on the bench, and that was why they couldn't play John McDonald, a player that was "probably" better than Eckstein defensively, late in games. Very logical. %-6

bdrotoronto wrote:JP got robbed.

Any discussion about GM's that never get their teams in a playoff race, embarrasses the team in the public eye repeatedly, makes poor player decisions, builds a brutally weak farm system, and throws money down the toilet on worthless contracts simply has to start with him. There is no excuse for this oversight.

Couldn't agree with you more guys.

J.P. needs to get gone. I'm hoping by August, so he can be as embaressed as everyone in Baseball is about how he runs a team. The Yankees, Red Sox and Rays will be sad to see him go.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers