OF is deep - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OF is deep

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: OF is deep

Postby Ender » Thu May 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:It might be deep but there isn't much elite talent. Its top heavy.

That would be bottom heavy wouldn't it?
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 1:54 pm

I agree that there are few elite OF's but they also aren't head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Those who waited and picked four or five outfielders 5th round or later are doing as well as those who picked an elite source in the first or second round. Actually, probably better right now, but that'll adjust.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby MTUCache » Thu May 01, 2008 2:23 pm

This situation has definitely impacted my strategy this season... the huge stockpile of up-and-coming OF guys that had so much buzz around them earlier in the season are really non-factors right now. If you've got room to start these guys, obviously they'll help you, but you have very little chance of using them to trade "up" for other more established players, because the hype alone isn't enough to make these guys worth more than the surprise guys who have shown up.

In a redraft league, unless you can find a guy who's really hurting for OF help (which basically means you have to be playing in a 15 person league), you're going to have a very hard time finding someone who's excited about trading for a Butler, or Votto, or whoever... not because they're not performing, but because there's a dozen other guys out there who went undrafted who are performing as well or better. There's no scarcity in the OF, even in leagues where you start 5 OFs, so there's no extra value in the hyped guys anymore.

At one point this season I had 11 offensive guys (out of 13) who were OF eligible. Obviously I was using guys like Braun, Figgins, and Doumit at their other positions, but I still had a bench stocked with the likes of Hamilton, Butler, Pence, Votto, etc, with no room to put them in (because of Holliday/Crawford/Hart ahead of them), and no real prospects of trading them away for elite talent at other positions.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YerInUrine » Thu May 01, 2008 3:37 pm

MTUCache wrote:At one point this season I had 11 offensive guys (out of 13) who were OF eligible. Obviously I was using guys like Braun, Figgins, and Doumit at their other positions, but I still had a bench stocked with the likes of Hamilton, Butler, Pence, Votto, etc, with no room to put them in (because of Holliday/Crawford/Hart ahead of them), and no real prospects of trading them away for elite talent at other positions.

I have had the same problem. My pre-draft strategy was to wait for OFers because it is so deep this year, but it is ridiculous. I drafted Carlos Lee in the 2nd round because he fell farther than I expected him to fall. I had him going a little earlier in my rankings so I snatched him up thinking I got great value.
Since then, I have been shopping him around all season. I cannot give him away. I have been trying to upgrade to a IFer or SP by trading him away all season.

My plan is to have solid IFers and have value picks in Hamilton, Votto, Justin Upton fill out my OF. Now I have a log jam in my OF because of my elite OF's trade value has deflated.

Damn you OF inflation.

No one needs help in the OF. Sorry Im just venting.
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers