OF is deep - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OF is deep

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OF is deep

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 2:22 am

Despite what everyone said in the preseason OF is extremely deep. Will that stay the same? I think so to some extent. There are a lot of guys who were supposed to be fading that are producing and a lot of guys who were projected to start producing that are doing just that. 1/4 of the top 100 on Baseball Monster are outfielders and while some of those guys will drop there are just as many if not more that will jump up.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: OF is deep

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu May 01, 2008 2:25 am

jfg wrote:Despite what everyone said in the preseason OF is extremely deep. Will that stay the same? I think so to some extent. There are a lot of guys who were supposed to be fading that are producing and a lot of guys who were projected to start producing that are doing just that. 1/4 of the top 100 on Baseball Monster are outfielders and while some of those guys will drop there are just as many if not more that will jump up.

I was one of the guys in early preseason that thought OF was deep. It wasn't until I really got into auction drafts this season -- in deep 5 OF leagues even -- that I realized how deep it was. There are so many quality $10-$15 dollar players with great potential in the OF. It is certainly one of the deepest positions.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 am

OF is way too deep if you ask me...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Thu May 01, 2008 2:40 am

I was too Boomer. Way too many up and coming players and too many guys that regressed last year. But, yet I still drafted Chris Young and Corey Hart back to back along with my sleeper OF's and am left with a bench full of production in a weekly league.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Spartans Rule » Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 am

I just realized how deep OF is the other day... I want to trade an OF with Soriano coming off the DL, so I check my 12-team, start 5 OF league to see who needs help there and really every team looks pretty solid.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AllDay » Thu May 01, 2008 3:29 am

I think it is always fairly deep by nature of the position. Every team generally starts 3 OF - and 1 IF at each position.

Which is why I generally target IF early in the draft, and fill in my OF later. There is a larger player pool to choose from to fill in those OF spots than filling a weak spot at 2B. I could easily find 1 or 2 OF in the FA pool to start - but if I'm looking for a 2B or SS I might be looking all year long.

Additionally, there is a variety of stats available in the OF. If you need SB (or HR) and a 3rd OF - you can probably find them later in the draft or in the FA pool.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 01, 2008 4:07 am

AllDay wrote:Which is why I generally target IF early in the draft, and fill in my OF later. There is a larger player pool to choose from to fill in those OF spots than filling a weak spot at 2B. I could easily find 1 or 2 OF in the FA pool to start - but if I'm looking for a 2B or SS I might be looking all year long.

This isnt always the best idea. You should take into account position scarcity...but I think the most important factor is the actual production you expect a player to have.
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:47 am

It might be deep but there isn't much elite talent. Its top heavy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby YerInUrine » Thu May 01, 2008 11:55 am

Havok1517 wrote:It might be deep but there isn't much elite talent. Its top heavy.

I cant get rid of my elite guys... Its ridiculous.
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Havok1517 wrote:It might be deep but there isn't much elite talent. Its top heavy.

Agreed. Odds are you'll be in good shape with two top 20-25 OF, but say if you only had one, the quality of your OF runs the greater chance of running feast-or-famine. The OF replacement level is just greater because you have a deeper lot to work with as opposed to say replacing a Jimmy Rollins or an A-Rod.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers