ARod & Veto talk

Postby Nate McClutch » Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 am

Owner A got Ichiro
Owner B got Hermida & Lowe

Dubious, but it went through unscathed.

2 weeks later
Same Owner A got ARod
Same Owner B got Beltre & Penny

Not surprisingly, trade was immediately vetoed (4 of 12 required)
My thought as commissioner and as one of the 4 that vetoed ARod deal, is that Owner B is getting fleeced and he should get more value for ARod, 15 day DL, slow start, or not. I mean, Beltre? Penny?

Combine the two trades, and you would have

ARod/Ichiro
for
Hermida, Beltre, Penny, Lowe

A no brainer right?
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ARod & Veto talk

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu May 01, 2008 12:44 am

The first deal I can understand, but the second one is ludacris. I would think that one will be vetoed for sure. I wouldnt accuse any collusion, but there is no way it is a fair deal...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu May 01, 2008 1:35 am

Yeah, veto. I think there's something foul going on between those two teams. The lesser team is clearly allowing the beneficiary to use his team as a resource.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Whisp » Thu May 01, 2008 2:40 am

definite veto.
let me guess A is near 1st place, B is near last place.
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 am

What kind of league is it? Public/private? You know all the guys? Any idea on what Owner B could be thinking?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nate McClutch » Thu May 01, 2008 7:48 am

Matthias wrote:What kind of league is it? Public/private? You know all the guys? Any idea on what Owner B could be thinking?

This is a Private Custom Yahoo league, its 3rd season. Both owners have been in league in all seasons. Many of us know one another several years via softball team. Everyone in league knows someone, if not everyone. I think Owner B is just frustrated and is making trades for trades sake. I mean, who gets excited about Penny, he's a serviceable starter that shows signs of 2nd half collapse, and Beltre, has scuffled for several seasons, especially in the SEA lineup.

Owner B quote --
"there was actually a thought process that also went into my decision. Who knows if A-Rod returns? If he does, my loss but at least for 15 - 20 days I get production from 3B and pitching. Its a calculated risk I'm taking but in my mind worth it. Whatever, I already told Crest [Owner A] the trade would be vetoed by the Moral Majority"
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Thu May 01, 2008 7:58 am

I would let it go then.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 am

Nate McClutch wrote:
Matthias wrote:What kind of league is it? Public/private? You know all the guys? Any idea on what Owner B could be thinking?

This is a Private Custom Yahoo league, its 3rd season. Both owners have been in league in all seasons. Many of us know one another several years via softball team. Everyone in league knows someone, if not everyone. I think Owner B is just frustrated and is making trades for trades sake. I mean, who gets excited about Penny, he's a serviceable starter that shows signs of 2nd half collapse, and Beltre, has scuffled for several seasons, especially in the SEA lineup.

Owner B quote --
"there was actually a thought process that also went into my decision. Who knows if A-Rod returns? If he does, my loss but at least for 15 - 20 days I get production from 3B and pitching. Its a calculated risk I'm taking but in my mind worth it. Whatever, I already told Crest [Owner A] the trade would be vetoed by the Moral Majority"

Sounds like he wants to do it to me. I don't see how you can stop him. Shame on the rest of you for letting owner A strike twice. Instead of shaking your heads you should have gotten on the phone after the first one.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby frodacious » Thu May 01, 2008 1:57 pm

i would have vetoed both an told him to cut out the bull
frodacious
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Torr » Fri May 02, 2008 3:21 pm

The whole "who knows what will happen to A-Rod" along with the "at least I get 15-20days of production" is all just bull. I'm surprised he said that with a straight face. The last line of his comment is a clue to what's really happening. I think that he's frustrated and wants to stir the pot, so he puts this A-Rod trade out there knowing fully that it would be vetoed. He knew he wasn't going to lose A-Rod. I've played with managers like that in our leagues... sore losers who give up after a month without even giving thier players a chance to perform. It would serve him right to lose A-Rod, but he's probably the type that wouldn't care either way whether the league becomes unbalanced. Just veto the trade, and get ready to veto a few more that he makes during the course of the year. A few teams will try to take advantage of his pettiness and work out another lopsided trade with him, so just be prepared and keep an eye on him.
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner