absoluteLEE incredible! Well, Almost. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

absoluteLEE incredible! Well, Almost.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

absoluteLEE incredible! Well, Almost.

Postby jtbarr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:45 pm

CLIFF LEE IS GOD... well, he was until the 7th inning tonight. Had another SO going until the 7th.
Still, though, 3 Runs in 6 innings with no walks and the Win is not a bad outing for a "bad outing".

Cliff's April totals...
5 Starts. 5-0
4 ER in in 37.2 inn with 2Walks and 32Ks. Not too bad.

But... He get the Yankees in NY next time up so unless the Yanks remain in a slump, Cliff could be in for another imperfect night. Interesting to see if tonight was a bump in the road or the beginning of the inevitable slide back to crappiness. Only time will tell but either way, it's been fun.
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: absoluteLEE incredible! Well, Almost.

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:48 pm

Beginning of the end.

I'm from Cleveland and I cannot stress this fact enough: Cliff Lee is not a good pitcher. He's not a bad pitcher, I'm not saying that...but he's just not very good. He doesn't throw that hard, he doesn't throw with stellar command, he doesn't have a true strikeout pitch (his curve is too easily to pick up compared to his fastball and his change is mediocre).

He will probably finish the season with an ERA around 3.95--but given what he's done in April, he doesn't need to do more than get straight 4.10's at this point.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wharton93 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 pm

His BABIP is luckily low--expect a correction. His Strand% is luckily high--expect a correction. He just gave up his first HR of the year tonight--expect more. He's walked 2 guys all year--expect more. He's not a terrible pitcher, but be thankful for these starts.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yaboygino » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Hes not this good but i do cliff lee as a pitcher expect a 18-8 175 ks 3.30 era kind of year. top 10 sp material! HOLLAA
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dweenmachine » Thu May 01, 2008 6:17 am

Here's to Cliff Lee! :-b

I just got A-Rod and Markakis for Lee and Abreu... :-D Believe it or not, I was OFFERED the trade.

Hopefully Lee keeps it up for the rest of the season, that way I won't feel too bad for the other guy. ;-7
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kozz » Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

dweenmachine wrote:I just got A-Rod and Markakis for Lee and Abreu... :-D Believe it or not, I was OFFERED the trade.

Highway robbery, can't believe this wasn't vetoed.
kozz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ivanhack » Thu May 01, 2008 10:24 am

dweenmachine wrote:Here's to Cliff Lee! :-b

I just got A-Rod and Markakis for Lee and Abreu... :-D Believe it or not, I was OFFERED the trade.

Hopefully Lee keeps it up for the rest of the season, that way I won't feel too bad for the other guy. ;-7

You're very lucky that trade didn't get vetoed.

Cliff Lee doesn't strike anybody out. Last year he was horrible, but even the year before when he threw 200 innings he only k'd 129 and he had a 4.40 ERA and 1.41 WHIP. He's mediocre at best and is clearly a sell high candidate
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jtbarr » Thu May 01, 2008 1:05 pm

ivanhack wrote:
dweenmachine wrote:Here's to Cliff Lee! :-b

You're very lucky that trade didn't get vetoed.

Cliff Lee doesn't strike anybody out. Last year he was horrible, but even the year before when he threw 200 innings he only k'd 129 and he had a 4.40 ERA and 1.41 WHIP. He's mediocre at best and is clearly a sell high candidate

OTOH... sometimes guys just learn to pitch along the way. And when they do, their game elevates to great levels as they break out of their cocoon. Lee has pinpoint control this year, and that goes a loooooong way in pitching. Look at Greg Maddux, he's never blown anyone away yet he's been getting guys out and winning games for two decades. Hopefully we're seeing the result of Lee taking a giant step forward.

If not, eh, I'll just cut the f**ker... and pick up some other scrub }:-)
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spectrum » Thu May 01, 2008 2:01 pm

There's no reason to think he can't put up those numbers (18-8, 3.30, 175k). He does have good control as far as throwing strikes. Never walked alot of batters. Last year was a wreck for him sure, but Carl Willis is one of the best pitching coaches in the league and it appears as tho they've worked out whatever issues he had last season.

Don't forget that two years ago, he was expected to be one of the best pitchers in the AL, after his Cy Young bid season. I think he came in 3rd in the voting in '05.

He doesn't have amazing stuff. fastball occasionally touches 93. His curve is big, mostly gets outs by being able to throw it for a strike rather than trying to make guys swing at it in the dirt. He's got great angles on his delivery. Looks nothing like he did last year.

And let's not forget, he was part of the greatest trade in baseball history, Bartolo Colon to Montreal for Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee. gives me a good laugh everytime I think about it.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kozz » Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Spectrum wrote:And let's not forget, he was part of the greatest trade in baseball history, Bartolo Colon to Montreal for Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee. gives me a good laugh everytime I think about it.

Good lord, that sounds like a Littlefield...
kozz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates