Smoltz Back to the Pen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz Back to the Pen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Smoltz Back to the Pen

Postby Yoda » Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

slomo007 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I own Smoltz and Rafael Soriano.

This isn't good news.

At least you own them both. Imagine how us Acosta/Soriano owners feel. :-t

Yeah seriously... It is teh suxor for us A/S owners.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:40 pm

looks like its time to deal for another SP
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby fbc_fan » Thu May 01, 2008 6:55 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:looks like its time to deal for another SP

my thoughts exactly.

i just hope he comes back in some capacity. i'll take what i can get at this point, so if he can chip in with some saves, i'm all for it.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Fri May 02, 2008 9:44 am

I am too lazy to find it again, but in Smoltz's yahoo notes today there was a quote form Cox that essentially says "not so fast". Cox asserted that in order to "win big" Smoltz needed to be in the rotation.

My feel is that Smoltz will start back in the pen but transition to the rotation when (if) it looks like he can phyisically handle it.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Cow » Fri May 02, 2008 10:51 am

I have a deep and talented bunch of closers, however Smoltz was my ace SP. My SP is suspect really do not need another closer, I have 5 Rivera, Soria, Sherrill, Valverde and Fuentes. Smoltz would give me 6 closers! Trying to make a deal, but not liking the offers. Oh well, better to have Smoltz as a closer than no Smoltz. Guess I need to swing a trade or two.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby decoy562 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:11 am

Just a Braves fan thinking out loud...

I wonder if that would be a bad thing for Smoltz to go back to closing? It may allow him to pitch another year or two? Besides, what would the rotation look like:

-Hudson
-Glavine
-C. James
-Jurrjens
-Hampton (haha) or Bennett or Carlyle

Then, you could have M. Gonzalez when he comes back, Soriano, then Smoltz. That would mean the starters would only have to go 6 innings and then the game is pretty much over.

Hmmm.....
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 02, 2008 12:11 pm

decoy562 wrote:Just a Braves fan thinking out loud...

I wonder if that would be a bad thing for Smoltz to go back to closing? It may allow him to pitch another year or two? Besides, what would the rotation look like:

-Hudson
-Glavine
-C. James
-Jurrjens
-Hampton (haha) or Bennett or Carlyle

Then, you could have M. Gonzalez when he comes back, Soriano, then Smoltz. That would mean the starters would only have to go 6 innings and then the game is pretty much over.

Hmmm.....

If your rotation has Glavine at #2, James at #3, Jurrjens at #4, and Bennett or Carlyle at #5, most games it won't matter that your pen can go 3 scoreless, because after the 6th you'll be down 4 runs anyway.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby cwrtlm » Fri May 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Listening to ESPN radio the other day, they had a good take on what could happen in ATL. Smoltz could become a 2-3 inning save kinda guy, thus allowing your starters to only have to face the rotation once or maybe 2 twice. With the other relievers that Cox has they could bridge the gap to get to the 7th or 8th then let Smoltz close it out.
Interesting idea, Smoltz won't have the high stress on his shoulder this way and then the Braves could shorten the games for their suspect starters, maybe only going to a 4 man rotation.
If this came true then Smoltz could possibly get alot of cheap W and 2 inning saves. In my league at 2 points per inning that really helps out a Reliever going over the typical 1 inning.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 pm

cwrtlm wrote:Listening to ESPN radio the other day, they had a good take on what could happen in ATL. Smoltz could become a 2-3 inning save kinda guy, thus allowing your starters to only have to face the rotation once or maybe 2 twice. With the other relievers that Cox has they could bridge the gap to get to the 7th or 8th then let Smoltz close it out.
Interesting idea, Smoltz won't have the high stress on his shoulder this way and then the Braves could shorten the games for their suspect starters, maybe only going to a 4 man rotation.
If this came true then Smoltz could possibly get alot of cheap W and 2 inning saves. In my league at 2 points per inning that really helps out a Reliever going over the typical 1 inning.

That's an interesting take. In some odd kind of way I guess it could make sense.

I know he's needed more in the rotation but a Gonzalez, Soriano to Smoltz would be a pretty lethal trio to close games.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RobRob27 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:
cwrtlm wrote:Listening to ESPN radio the other day, they had a good take on what could happen in ATL. Smoltz could become a 2-3 inning save kinda guy, thus allowing your starters to only have to face the rotation once or maybe 2 twice. With the other relievers that Cox has they could bridge the gap to get to the 7th or 8th then let Smoltz close it out.

That's an interesting take. In some odd kind of way I guess it could make sense.

I know he's needed more in the rotation but a Gonzalez, Soriano to Smoltz would be a pretty lethal trio to close games.

No doubt about that, but as it was mentioned earlier, with their shortcomings at the SP postition there may not be enough save situations for the Braves to make it effective. It's just too bad; Smolts had 37 ks in 27 innings and a 2.00 era. When Hampton breaks a nail and is out for the rest of the season I'll just shake my head in shame and wish for Smoltz like I will for Favre this fall.
Last edited by RobRob27 on Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I gruntle the disgruntled.
RobRob27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers