Wladimir Balentien - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wladimir Balentien

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wladimir Balentien

Postby Super Manny » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Seattle Post Intelligencer wrote:There is official confirmation, finally - catcher Jeff Clement and outifelder Wladimir Balentien are joining the Seattle Mariners in Cleveland on Wednesday.

Link: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/base ... source=rss

What are everyone's thoughts on Balentien? We've all heard a lot about Clement and his prospects as a fantasy asset, but what about this other call-up?

FWIW, both guys ARE available in the Yahoo Player Database.

;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wladimir Balentien

Postby Field » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Is Clement going to be seeing time at catcher? I would assume he would spell Jojima on his days off, correct? Currently he's only listed in Yahoo as having UTL eligibility which makes him close to useless. I have Navarro starting at catcher in one of my leagues, so I'm going to be keeping a close eye on the situation.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:15 pm

I don't think Clement is going to catch at all. For one, he's not ready. Second, if he was going to the backup catcher, they would have cut Burke loose as opposed to Norton. I think Clement is here to DH and that's it. I would not grab him expecting him to gain C eligibility any time soon. As far as Balentien, we'll see how it goes. He's really improved his pitch selection and plate discipline in the last couple years. His power is legit but I would not expect a great average. Safeco will also depress his numbers. He's absolutely a much better defender than any other corner outfielder the M's have so that's nice. A big upgrade over Wilkerson.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby dre1614 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:06 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I don't think Clement is going to catch at all. For one, he's not ready. Second, if he was going to the backup catcher, they would have cut Burke loose as opposed to Norton. I think Clement is here to DH and that's it. I would not grab him expecting him to gain C eligibility any time soon. As far as Balentien, we'll see how it goes. He's really improved his pitch selection and plate discipline in the last couple years. His power is legit but I would not expect a great average. Safeco will also depress his numbers. He's absolutely a much better defender than any other corner outfielder the M's have so that's nice. A big upgrade over Wilkerson.

After tonight's game The Mariner skipper said that Clement is going to catch tomorrow, and will play all over the field for the rest of the season. Meaning C/DH/1st.
dre1614
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:15 pm

He should have reasonable-to-sweet power, but I don't think his OBP will be very sexy.
He has 14 and 15 steal seasons in the minors as well :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby dre1614 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 pm

AussieDodger wrote:He should have reasonable-to-sweet power, but I don't think his OBP will be very sexy.
He has 14 and 15 steal seasons in the minors as well :-?

he has really good raw power, and has decent speed, which makes him a good rf. He also is a good learner, but like you said will never have a very good obp.
"Bottom line is that he's awful and you should sell him for whatever you can get in return for him. He's garbage for the rest of 2007." - Geek on Felix Hernandez
dre1614
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Inukchuk » Thu May 01, 2008 10:46 am

His opposite field HR last night was very nice...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu May 01, 2008 10:50 am

So Clement or Balentien ???? The consensus is that Clement is the better hitter ,right?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Thu May 01, 2008 11:36 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:So Clement or Balentien ???? The consensus is that Clement is the better hitter ,right?

I actually think Balentien is the better hitter, at least in terms of raw power. However, Clement may have more value once he gains C eligibility because he plays a shallower position.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Sjeff22 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:38 am

Big Pimpin wrote:I don't think Clement is going to catch at all. For one, he's not ready. Second, if he was going to the backup catcher, they would have cut Burke loose as opposed to Norton. I think Clement is here to DH and that's it. I would not grab him expecting him to gain C eligibility any time soon. As far as Balentien, we'll see how it goes. He's really improved his pitch selection and plate discipline in the last couple years. His power is legit but I would not expect a great average. Safeco will also depress his numbers. He's absolutely a much better defender than any other corner outfielder the M's have so that's nice. A big upgrade over Wilkerson.

As per Rotoworld.com:

The Seattle Times reports that Kenji Johjima will sit out the next two games "as a mental break" while Jeff Clement starts at catcher.
Great news for Clement's fantasy value, which will rise significantly once he's eligible behind the plate. "Even if I do relax, I don't know how good of a performance I can come up with," Johjima said. "I can't be happy. Just because I'm taking two days off, that's not to say I'm going to do better on the third day. I can't allow myself to think that way."
Sjeff22
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers