Should people get insulted at being Lowballed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should people get insulted at being Lowballed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Should people get insulted at being Lowballed?

Postby KrunK » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:49 am

kaiser wrote:
KrunK wrote:I could really care less.

Gotta love these ultra-helpful additions to the discussion. Why even bother to hit reply? ;-)

I don't know how you can change someones mind on whether or not a low ball offer bothers them. Obviously they don't bother me, so I stated that in a to the point fashion ;-)
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:26 am

Oh, sorry Krunk. I thought you meant you couldn't care less about the topic, not about being lowballed. I misunderstood your response.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby theplayer11 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:19 am

The problem is that many don't think how the trade will help the other team..just that their team is getting better. Put a little thought behind trade offers and come up with proposals that benefit both teams. You see it in the trade thread as well...so many posts that start with something like.."did I win this trade". With a good trade, no one has to win..but both sides get better.
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Here's a pretty good example of how the guy proposing a bad trade to you will try to "talk you into" believing it is a great deal. Tis trade was propsed to me today (I am Cheese Ninjas, he is Ice Breakers). I have included what the other guy (Ice Breakers) sent to me to try to justify it. He is reaching at best...

I give Derrek Lee, ChC 1B to Ice Breakers
I give Matt Kemp, LAD RF to Ice Breakers
I get Alex Gordon, KC 3B to Cheese Ninjas
I get Magglio Ordonez, Det RF to Cheese Ninjas

"Lee has been struggling the last coule of weeks and Ordonez doesn't normally go off with a pop like 4 homers in 4 games but he plays consistent and never seems to get in a slump and averges .320+. Gordon is still pretty young and was a better prospect than all those 05 players like bruce,Upton,Elsbury and even Braun so it's a matter of time before he starts showing up.. might be after the all-star break and Kemp will be suspended."
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:39 pm

kaiser wrote:Here's a pretty good example of how the guy proposing a bad trade to you will try to "talk you into" believing it is a great deal. Tis trade was propsed to me today (I am Cheese Ninjas, he is Ice Breakers). I have included what the other guy (Ice Breakers) sent to me to try to justify it. He is reaching at best...

I give Derrek Lee, ChC 1B to Ice Breakers
I give Matt Kemp, LAD RF to Ice Breakers
I get Alex Gordon, KC 3B to Cheese Ninjas
I get Magglio Ordonez, Det RF to Cheese Ninjas

"Lee has been struggling the last couple of weeks and Ordonez doesn't normally go off with a pop like 4 homers in 4 games but he plays consistent and never seems to get in a slump and averges .320+. Gordon is still pretty young and was a better prospect than all those 05 players like bruce,Upton,Elsbury and even Braun so it's a matter of time before he starts showing up.. might be after the all-star break and Kemp will be suspended."

I talk up my players, and how they will fit the other guys team, but I rarely talk down their players,as that insults everyone's intelligence.

Honestly, my favorite trick is to propose lopsided trades (slightly) then an hour later cancel them. Suddenly the other guy starts thinking "maybe he thinks this deal was too good" and counters.

I don't mind lowball offers, sometimes it is really just to get the ball rolling, I do hate though when the same players are offered constantly. In my one dynasty I'm set for the next decade at closer (K-Rod, Jenks, Capps, Marmol, Ray, Zumaya, Perez) but one guy keeps offering me Gregg as part of different packages for Tex (who Im not trading anyway) or Bruce.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers