Should people get insulted at being Lowballed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should people get insulted at being Lowballed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Should people get insulted at being Lowballed?

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:11 pm

What bugs me more is when a guy offers me a trade that may or not may not be even, but then trys to convince me to do it by telling me how great the players he is giving up are, and how the players he is asking for are "certain to not keep performing the way they currently are." or some garbage like that.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:27 pm

kaiser wrote:What bugs me more is when a guy offers me a trade that may or not may not be even, but then trys to convince me to do it by telling me how great the players he is giving up are, and how the players he is asking for are "certain to not keep performing the way they currently are." or some garbage like that.

Yeah. Like his goal is to build the worst team possible.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KrunK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:10 pm

I could really care less.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 pm

shawngee03 wrote:i dont get insulted when i get a low ball offer, as i do the same thing

shawngee03 wrote:what really insults me is when the person doesnt reply. ... i dont see why people do not want to communicate during trading.

Umm.... these things could be related.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sblinyy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm

I hate when I have 6 outfielders, and someone offers a trade involving my starting third basemen to whom I have no backup for another outfielder. Of course I'm not going to do that trade. When I send out trade offers I try to be considerate to what his lineup will look like if he made the deal, because I know he isn't going to make a deal that leaves him having to scramble to the waiver wire just to fill a spot in his starting lineup.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:19 pm

KrunK wrote:I could really care less.

Gotta love these ultra-helpful additions to the discussion. Why even bother to hit reply? ;-)
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:27 pm

Personally, low-ball offers (and I mean the Ludwick for Santana variety) are telling me one thing: "Hi. I think you're a bleeping moron. Want to hit the accept key and confirm please?"

Those aren't invitations to trade; they're an opportunity to click the wrong button and get hosed.

Whenever I initiate a trade, I try to broach it in very general terms: "I see you need some hitting; I could use some pitching. Are you interested?" And then go from there, respecting the other guy. People are always going to have different player valuations (generally skewed towards the guys they have... Cueto's a rock star!!!) but you can sometimes find room in which to strike a deal if you're both adults about it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:29 pm

sblinyy wrote:I hate when I have 6 outfielders, and someone offers a trade involving my starting third basemen to whom I have no backup for another outfielder. Of course I'm not going to do that trade.

I know exactly what you mean. I have C.Lee, Hamilton, Crawford, C.Granderson, J. Bruce and V. Wells on my team and this one guy offered me Victorino and Theriot for Uggla. I think this type of play may be worse then "low balling". It's like he's saying, "I know that you're never going to start this OF (Victorino) with all the OF you all ready have, but will you take him anyway and give me Uggla?"

I countered w/ Granderson and Hudson for Teixeira.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm

I get these all the time every year (across 8 leagues but hey im sure everyone does even if they are in ONE league), I never get offended though. If it's really awful I have some fun and just leave it out there and make someone think im pondering it (most recent was brandon morrow for chipper jones along with a great story about Morrow's promise and chipper's risk). If its just bad but not insulting I will just counter with what it would cost etc. I know plnety of people in those leagues who think you desecrated a loved ones grave even if its slightly below par though you hear about it firsthand if it was you offering the deal, or seconhand when they relate "Guess what owner x sent me" or always the "best" - on e-mails or the message board etc. I always get a great laugh over someone sending out a league e-mail to go on a tirade about the insulting offer he got on player Y.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:13 am

converge241 wrote:I get these all the time every year (across 8 leagues but hey im sure everyone does even if they are in ONE league), I never get offended though. If it's really awful I have some fun and just leave it out there and make someone think im pondering it (most recent was brandon morrow for chipper jones along with a great story about Morrow's promise and chipper's risk). If its just bad but not insulting I will just counter with what it would cost etc. I know plnety of people in those leagues who think you desecrated a loved ones grave even if its slightly below par though you hear about it firsthand if it was you offering the deal, or seconhand when they relate "Guess what owner x sent me" or always the "best" - on e-mails or the message board etc. I always get a great laugh over someone sending out a league e-mail to go on a tirade about the insulting offer he got on player Y.

My point, exactly, and i guess it's why I started this thread a month or so ago (it's been reborn somehow in the last day or two). It always just seems so silly and pointless to get worked up over a trade offer that is bad, even if you feel your intelligence is being insulted. Just explain to the "offer-er" why exactly his offer is so putrid and move on with life.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers