Fire Sale has begun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fire Sale has begun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fire Sale has begun

Postby Matthias » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am

markj11 wrote:8 out of 10(we added one this year) GMs wanted to make some kind of change after seeing what the guy last year did but we could not come up with a good solution. We did come up with a most improved 2nd half money award which I guess kind of over shadowed this situation and it was forgoten about. That is why it never got voted on and that is why I started this thread, to come up with as many solutions as possible. It is all new to us, we only added trading draft picks last year.

I really think your solution is to eliminate the possibility of trading draft picks.

Say at next year's draft, one guy says, "I'm going to be getting married this summer so won't have time for fantasy baseball." And then trades his picks in rounds 1-8 to someone else for their picks in round 1-8 in the year following. They'd have a huge edge in both years over everyone else. But that's basically what's happening with a, "Fire Sale" in April.

Sure, you could tweak it... say no more than 4 picks in any 2 rounds or no more than 2 1st rounders or whatever whatever... but I think that's really just lipstick on a pig. The best solution is to just do away the stupid thing.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fire Sale has begun

Postby noseeum » Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 am

Matthias wrote:
markj11 wrote:8 out of 10(we added one this year) GMs wanted to make some kind of change after seeing what the guy last year did but we could not come up with a good solution. We did come up with a most improved 2nd half money award which I guess kind of over shadowed this situation and it was forgoten about. That is why it never got voted on and that is why I started this thread, to come up with as many solutions as possible. It is all new to us, we only added trading draft picks last year.

I really think your solution is to eliminate the possibility of trading draft picks.

Say at next year's draft, one guy says, "I'm going to be getting married this summer so won't have time for fantasy baseball." And then trades his picks in rounds 1-8 to someone else for their picks in round 1-8 in the year following. They'd have a huge edge in both years over everyone else. But that's basically what's happening with a, "Fire Sale" in April.

Sure, you could tweak it... say no more than 4 picks in any 2 rounds or no more than 2 1st rounders or whatever whatever... but I think that's really just lipstick on a pig. The best solution is to just do away the stupid thing.

I agree. No trading of any draft picks until the off season, and then no trading of any draft picks except for the following season's in order to improve your keepers. These aren't sports franchises where you're trying to make a living. No one should throw in the towel in April in hopes of winning the following year. Everyone should be trying to compete every year. Otherwise it's just taken to such an extreme that it's not even fun anymore IMO.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers