Fire Sale has begun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fire Sale has begun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fire Sale has begun

Postby WyldStallyn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:30 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:I wanna add that since every other owner has a chance to get in on his players, it's not much of a problem "upsetting competitive balance" imo, since all of the other teams have equal chances of access to the firesale owner's players. Each team will probably get better as a result and it's not that much easier to win because while your team is stronger, the other teams have gotten stronger as well.

agreed. and i dont think the owner is getting that big an advantage for next year by selling, at least when judging from the one roster. it was good, but not likely to runaway with the title imo
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby red_sox_fan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:49 pm

markj11 wrote: ...I didn't mean to offend actually homos...

I'm sure referring to them as homos doesn't offend them...
red_sox_fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby red_sox_fan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

markj11 wrote:...We had mentioned no trading of picks until after ASB but it kinda got forgotten about....

Oh and just enforce your rules. Freeze or reverse any trades that violate the rule. End of story. Seems pretty simple to me.
red_sox_fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:28 pm

markj11 wrote:So what do I do as the commish?

markj11 wrote:We do not change rules during the season

Thanks everyone. Obviously I can't do anything about it this year since it doesn't break any rules. I guess I should have put in the OP "So what do I do as the commish to prevent it next year?". Sorry for the confusion.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm

markj11 wrote:
markj11 wrote:So what do I do as the commish?

markj11 wrote:We do not change rules during the season

Thanks everyone. Obviously I can't do anything about it this year since it doesn't break any rules. I guess I should have put in the OP "So what do I do as the commish to prevent it next year?". Sorry for the confusion.

Have clear cut rules and regulations with respect to trading draft picks. Pick a date. Have the league agree on it. Set it. Then go eat a sandwich.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Have clear cut rules and regulations with respect to trading draft picks. Pick a date. Have the league agree on it. Set it. Then go eat a sandwich.

Thanks, it seems that about half the people that have responded to my OP do not agree with handling it in that manner(setting a date). Has anyone tried something along the lines of only allowing a GM to have 3-4 picks in consectutive rounds? I'm Just tring to come up with as many options as possible.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:48 pm

markj11 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Have clear cut rules and regulations with respect to trading draft picks. Pick a date. Have the league agree on it. Set it. Then go eat a sandwich.

Thanks, it seems that about half the people that have responded to my OP do not agree with handling it in that manner(setting a date). Has anyone tried something along the lines of only allowing a GM to have 3-4 picks in consectutive rounds? I'm Just tring to come up with as many options as possible.

Well I mean of course there's the option to do nothing at all as well. Those, IMO, are your two options here. Either make things clear and obvious, or continue as you have for more than one season now. Let the league decide, because ultimately, that is who things will affect. If they are happy with things as is, let it go. If a supermajority want change, work towards implementation of change for next season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby garf112 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 pm

i don't see a problem with what the guy is doing.

if you want to stop this, you can vote on it next year. another thing that would help this situation is increasing the number of keepers per team.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Matthias » Thu May 01, 2008 6:39 am

I wouldn't allow the trading of draft picks, period. I really dislike the idea of trading one year of production for an uneven chance next year. Sure, keepers do that already to some extent, but not as much and everyone has the same amount of keepers. Whereas it can become really imbalanced trading draft picks since you've gotten value for all of this year's players, making them all "keepers" in a sense. Lastly, at least for keepers you're still taking a risk or making a bet that the players you project will do well next year will. With draft picks, you don't carry that risk; you draft based off of new information next spring.

I see nothing redeeming in what he is doing. He is not, "thinking longer term" than anyone, as someone here tried to say. He's just given up on this year after one measly month. That's pathetic.

As to how to address it, come to a league consensus with at least a 2/3 majority required to pass the rule you discussed in the off-season. As someone else said early on in this thread, it's not like anyone drafted with an eye to trade them all May 1 so normal concerns about in-season rule changes are less acute. Oh, and ask the fire sale guy who much good all those draft picks will do him if he gets replaced by a real owner next year.

Lastly, if you do allow trading of draft picks, make sure you get next year's league fees from everyone who trades them away.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby markj11 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 am

bigh0rt wrote:Well I mean of course there's the option to do nothing at all as well. Those, IMO, are your two options here. Either make things clear and obvious, or continue as you have for more than one season now. Let the league decide, because ultimately, that is who things will affect. If they are happy with things as is, let it go. If a supermajority want change, work towards implementation of change for next season.

8 out of 10(we added one this year) GMs wanted to make some kind of change after seeing what the guy last year did but we could not come up with a good solution. We did come up with a most improved 2nd half money award which I guess kind of over shadowed this situation and it was forgoten about. That is why it never got voted on and that is why I started this thread, to come up with as many solutions as possible. It is all new to us, we only added trading draft picks last year.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers