Fire Sale has begun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fire Sale has begun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fire Sale has begun

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 am

I don't have any problem with what he's doing whatsoever. Why should anyone other than the owner of the team be the one to decide when he can start planning for next year?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Russell James » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 am

I second the notion of making fun of him.

Peer Pressure in the form of insults can work wonders.

Geez, what a stinky can of tuna this guy is and the guy before him for doing the same thing.

Then again the owners in your league allowed them to do it so maybe it is justified.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flloyd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 am

1. Actually be clear when creating rules and enforce them.

2. Don't be immature and whiny when someone disobeys and unclear or non-existent rule.

3. Get league mates who don't give away all of their early picks. He's simply being smart if he's able to get so many top picks next year and he should dominate. It's not his fault that the other teams didn't negotiate better deals.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:28 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:If he had such an advantageous draft how does his team blow?
Wouldn't you think he would have the skill to build something reasonably good?
I would relentlessly mock his ability as a fantasy manager if I was you. ;-D

That's what I was thinking. How could he be done drafting by the 9th round and be ready to pack it in this year already?

I think he was referring to a different guy last year doing the same thing.

If you do not have an approved rule in place (assuming your league has to vote on rule changes), then you cannot do anything to prevent this guy from having a fire sale right now - that wouldn't be fair as he's playing by the rules. If someone did this last year and you wanted to change the rules, you had your chance and you blew it. Maybe this guy's team does suck bad enough, maybe he encountered a lot of injuries, whatever. Obviously, its stupid and you should make fun of him for packing it in during April, but I would not prevent him from trading for picks now.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:41 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

That's what I was thinking. How could he be done drafting by the 9th round and be ready to pack it in this year already?

If you do not have an approved rule in place (assuming your league has to vote on rule changes), then you cannot do anything to prevent this guy from having a fire sale right now - that wouldn't be fair as he's playing by the rules. If someone did this last year and you wanted to change the rules, you had your chance and you blew it. Maybe this guy's team does suck bad enough, maybe he encountered a lot of injuries, whatever. Obviously, its stupid and you should make fun of him for packing it in during April, but I would not prevent him from trading for picks now.

Oh. :-D

I concur with Mr Sox.He is playing by the rules, so you can't and shouldn't stop him this season, but make sure item #1 on your offseason agenda is to change this. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:44 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Yeah it was a different guy . It's not that I think he will be able to win next year with more early picks (since he can't even make it past 1 month I don't think a few early picks will help him). The problem I see is that this 11 teamer becomes a 10 teamer.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:51 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:If you do not have an approved rule in place (assuming your league has to vote on rule changes), then you cannot do anything to prevent this guy from having a fire sale right now - that wouldn't be fair as he's playing by the rules. If someone did this last year and you wanted to change the rules, you had your chance and you blew it. Maybe this guy's team does suck bad enough, maybe he encountered a lot of injuries, whatever. Obviously, its stupid and you should make fun of him for packing it in during April, but I would not prevent him from trading for picks now.

Oh. :-D

I concur with Mr Sox.He is playing by the rules, so you can't and shouldn't stop him this season, but make sure item #1 on your offseason agenda is to change this. ;-D

I generally agree with this, but in order to compete, people are going to have to put in bids, which will up the price. This is impacting both this season and next. I think, since this was not part of draft strategy, that it's worth it for the viability of the league, to call a timeout and have a talk about it.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:56 am

im curious what the roster of the last manager who did this looks like
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I agree with this...
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't have any problem with what he's doing whatsoever. Why should anyone other than the owner of the team be the one to decide when he can start planning for next year?

this...
Bloody Sox wrote:If you do not have an approved rule in place (assuming your league has to vote on rule changes), then you cannot do anything to prevent this guy from having a fire sale right now - that wouldn't be fair as he's playing by the rules. If someone did this last year and you wanted to change the rules, you had your chance and you blew it. Maybe this guy's team does suck bad enough, maybe he encountered a lot of injuries, whatever. Obviously, its stupid and you should make fun of him for packing it in during April, but I would not prevent him from trading for picks now.

...and this...
flloyd wrote:1. Actually be clear when creating rules and enforce them.

2. Don't be immature and whiny when someone disobeys and unclear or non-existent rule.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby flloyd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:04 pm

markj11 wrote:Yeah it was a different guy . It's not that I think he will be able to win next year with more early picks (since he can't even make it past 1 month I don't think a few early picks will help him). The problem I see is that this 11 teamer becomes a 10 teamer.

If you don't want people playing for next year then don't make it a keeper or allow trading of draft picks. If its a keeper league then its a smart strategy to have a fire sale if you know you're out of it or think it can guarantee a really good finish next year. Some people obviously have longer views than you and aren't as concerned with immediate gratification, more power to them. If you really don't want teams to tank then make the bottom three lose money at the end of the year, or award drt picks in the order of finishing rather than the reverse order.

Also it makes more sense to have a fire sale earlier in the season as you should be able to get more value then, since the other team will get the player for 4 months rather than just two.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers