Fire Sale has begun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fire Sale has begun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fire Sale has begun

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:50 am

So a guy in my money league has already posted that everyone on his team is available for picks. The title of the post "Fire Sale". I am very pissed, a guy did the samething last year during the middle June and ended with 11 picks in the first 3 rounds and was finished drafting after the 9th. So what do I do as the commish? We had mentioned no trading of picks until after ASB but it kinda got forgotten about. This was my post to him:
"Nice, obviously the season is over after one month which is 1 fifth of the season. Looks like Baltimore will when the East over NYY and BOS. You are a homo."
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fire Sale has begun

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am

Limit the number of draft picks he can get. By the way, people are stupid if they allow him to accumulate that many early picks for next year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:53 am

Is this a keeper league?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:53 am

if the rule in the league is no trading picks until after the asb, why not remind him of that and not allow any trades involving picks until that time? that would be enforcing the rule
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby noseeum » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:58 am

markj11 wrote:So a guy in my money league has already posted that everyone on his team is available for picks. The title of the post "Fire Sale". I am very pissed, a guy did the samething last year during the middle June and ended with 11 picks in the first 3 rounds and was finished drafting after the 9th. So what do I do as the commish? We had mentioned no trading of picks until after ASB but it kinda got forgotten about. This was my post to him:
"Nice, obviously the season is over after one month which is 1 fifth of the season. Looks like Baltimore will when the East over NYY and BOS. You are a homo."

Freeze all trades and have a conversation about this now. He can't argue that he drafted with this strategy in mind. This is one of the few times where a major rule discussion is best had mid season because it really can't be argued that he setup his roster with this plan in mind. He's ready to throw in the towel and disrupt the league, so intervention is call for.

I wouldn't say what this guy is doing is wrong though. Just freeze trades and say we need to talk about this first. Don't jump down his throat for ruining the league, but ask everyone if this is how they want the league to run. We don't allow trading of picks until the offseason for this very reason.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:04 am

Well if you have a rule that you can't trade draft picks until post ASB then you don't have a problem. I would just eliminate the ability to trade picks until after the season is over though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:08 am

noseeum wrote:
markj11 wrote:So a guy in my money league has already posted that everyone on his team is available for picks. The title of the post "Fire Sale". I am very pissed, a guy did the samething last year during the middle June and ended with 11 picks in the first 3 rounds and was finished drafting after the 9th. So what do I do as the commish? We had mentioned no trading of picks until after ASB but it kinda got forgotten about. This was my post to him:

Freeze all trades and have a conversation about this now. He can't argue that he drafted with this strategy in mind. This is one of the few times where a major rule discussion is best had mid season because it really can't be argued that he setup his roster with this plan in mind. He's ready to throw in the towel and disrupt the league, so intervention is call for.

I wouldn't say what this guy is doing is wrong though. Just freeze trades and say we need to talk about this first. Don't jump down his throat for ruining the league, but ask everyone if this is how they want the league to run. We don't allow trading of picks until the offseason for this very reason.

We discussed not allowing trading picks this early but it was never actually voted on, just kinda got lost in emails and other things voted on. This is a keeper(3) and give up an 11th round for a rookie. The guy last year ended with 4 11th round picks so he got to keep Linc, Tulo, Pence, Gordon and he had 4 of first 5 picks.
This is his post:
"Since there is no new rule on trading draft picks and my team obviously blows, all my players are up for grabs if anyone is interested."
We do not change rules during the season, I guess I will have to see what everyone else in the league says about it. Why even play FBB if you are only going to play 1 month? :-t
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:14 am

markj11 wrote:
noseeum wrote:

We discussed not allowing trading picks this early but it was never actually voted on, just kinda got lost in emails and other things voted on. This is a keeper(3) and give up an 11th round for a rookie. The guy last year ended with 4 11th round picks so he got to keep Linc, Tulo, Pence, Gordon and he had 4 of first 5 picks.
This is his post:
"Since there is no new rule on trading draft picks and my team obviously blows, all my players are up for grabs if anyone is interested."
We do not change rules during the season, I guess I will have to see what everyone else in the league says about it. Why even play FBB if you are only going to play 1 month? :-t

Yeah, just say, "OK. We screwed up and forgot to implement this. But let's stop right here. You can have your firesale in two days if necessary. Everyone else, is this how we want this league to go? If not, let's fix it right now. For this year, I say we move it to post ASB, as discussed last year. In the offseason, we'll figure out a long term solution."
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 am

If he had such an advantageous draft how does his team blow?
Wouldn't you think he would have the skill to build something reasonably good?
I would relentlessly mock his ability as a fantasy manager if I was you. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:20 am

AussieDodger wrote:If he had such an advantageous draft how does his team blow?
Wouldn't you think he would have the skill to build something reasonably good?
I would relentlessly mock his ability as a fantasy manager if I was you. ;-D

That's what I was thinking. How could he be done drafting by the 9th round and be ready to pack it in this year already?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers