Ichiro sucks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ichiro sucks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ichiro sucks

Postby Mashug » Fri May 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Eveybody looks slow when they're in a slump. It's crazy to think that he's lost it at 34. He hit .303 in 2005 which is probably the lowest he'll go. That means he'll hit well over .300 from this point forward and compile 90 or so runs scored with at least another 25-30 stolen bases. If you want to trade that away, join my league and trade him to me.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Fri May 02, 2008 2:01 pm

thomasmore wrote:ESPN just did a small fantasy report on players who are SUCKING and Ichrio was mentioned as one of them. They pretty much said the same thing as the poster above. That he is losing some of his speed which is crucial for a speed guy because it's how he makes his living, by beating out pitches. Moreover I think it's stupid to argue how he isn't a good April performer, because even during Apil he has never hit this badly or against teams/pitchers who he usually dominates. If you want to talk about trends, let's talk about how he usually bats over .300 against the Angels regardless of what month he's in. So far this season he's batting .100. He may not stay at .266 (where he's at now after going 3-5 yesterday), I think he'll struggle most of the season and just barely stay at .300~.298.

Then I'll tell you again: quit whining and deal him for someone else...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Siddo4ty4 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:21 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
thomasmore wrote:ESPN just did a small fantasy report on players who are SUCKING and Ichrio was mentioned as one of them. They pretty much said the same thing as the poster above. That he is losing some of his speed which is crucial for a speed guy because it's how he makes his living, by beating out pitches. Moreover I think it's stupid to argue how he isn't a good April performer, because even during Apil he has never hit this badly or against teams/pitchers who he usually dominates. If you want to talk about trends, let's talk about how he usually bats over .300 against the Angels regardless of what month he's in. So far this season he's batting .100. He may not stay at .266 (where he's at now after going 3-5 yesterday), I think he'll struggle most of the season and just barely stay at .300~.298.

Yeah, I wish he was in my league; He'd be the sucker that loses out on a buy low.
Siddo4ty4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby virgil22 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:23 pm

Fans of a team, fantasy owners/players are indicative of human beings and our society. Just look at the financial situation and stock market. Everybody is screaming doom and gloom, recession and great depression. When things are good, it seems like it has always been and nothing can go wrong. When things are bad, it is poor me, how can we get out of this.

We are creatures of the extreme. Look at the past and history. Yeah Ichiro may sink into oblivion as the dow may never get out of 13,000 again. Stay in the middle and stick with history.

This time next year, somebody will be posting how Ichiro has started slow out of the gates and there will be another year (2008) to compare his slow start.

He may be slowing down but you don't have a career BA of .332 because you leg out base hits. The guy can flat out hit and will post similar numbers to his career this year.
virgil22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Fri May 02, 2008 3:49 pm

The title of virgil's post: Life lessons from fantasy baseball. Very well said ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby stumpak » Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 pm

I am not saying that Ichiro is in the midst of a decline. What I am saying is that a guy who makes his bread with infield singles will fall off when his speed drops a bit, and it would not be terribly unusual for this to happen at age 34.

I am not standing by Ichiro with a stop watch so I don't know if he has actually slowed down, I am just saying it is stupid and counter-logical to state categorically that there is no possiblility that his slow April is definitively part of a larger downtrend. To argue otherwise would be tantamount to asserting he will continue to get 60+ infield hits forever. He has to drop off at sometime, and this MAY be that time.

If were buying him low, I would be sure to discount his expected performance a little to take this possibility into account.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rainman23 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Checking the books quickly...looks like he's had at least three worse Aprils. Including last year. His average was a little higher last year, but less runs, no SB's. I'm waiiting for him to get hot too, but I ain't worried.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rowe33 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Please clarify how he has "never hit this badly" before in April. I'd love to hear that explanation...You're actually saying that his .255-1-6 line in 2004 with 4 sb is somehow better than his .259-2-8 with 6 sb line in 2008? He only hit .372 in 2004 by season's end so I can see why you're so concerned...
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Peter Gammon's Jr. » Fri May 02, 2008 6:45 pm

all im going to say is...668 hits the last 3 seasons 8-o
Peter Gammon's Jr.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasmore » Fri May 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Siddo4ty4 wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

Yeah, I wish he was in my league; He'd be the sucker that loses out on a buy low.

You see, the problem is that he was a high round draft and I CANT drop him or even trade for him. No one wants him unless it's for some scrub trade so I'm stuck with his suckiness till he can get it together again.
thomasmore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates