Victorino - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Victorino

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Victorino

Postby Justblaze » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:33 pm

Victorino has been activated and has not played the last two games. I'm beginning to hate Manuel and about to drop him. I know it might be a rash move, but I'd rather have guys that play everyday than a platooner or a guy that might play. Manuel is as unpredictable as it gets, and I'd hate to keep a guy without truly knowing his status.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flloyd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Justblaze wrote:Victorino has been activated and has not played the last two games. I'm beginning to hate Manuel and about to drop him. I know it might be a rash move, but I'd rather have guys that play everyday than a platooner or a guy that might play. Manuel is as unpredictable as it gets, and I'd hate to keep a guy without truly knowing his status.

He was only activated yesterday and they have yet to play today so he was only out one game, and he pinch hit in that game. I think Manuel is simply playing the hot hand and as long as Victorino plays up to his potential he should soon have his full time job back, beside they may just want to ease him in. I think it would be very foolish to drop him so quickly, at least wait it out a week or two with him on your bench and see how he does; if he gets back to playing full time then start him, if he becomes a platoon player then consider dropping him.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deutschland » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:50 pm

flloyd wrote:
Justblaze wrote:Victorino has been activated and has not played the last two games. I'm beginning to hate Manuel and about to drop him. I know it might be a rash move, but I'd rather have guys that play everyday than a platooner or a guy that might play. Manuel is as unpredictable as it gets, and I'd hate to keep a guy without truly knowing his status.

He was only activated yesterday and they have yet to play today so he was only out one game, and he pinch hit in that game. I think Manuel is simply playing the hot hand and as long as Victorino plays up to his potential he should soon have his full time job back, beside they may just want to ease him in. I think it would be very foolish to drop him so quickly, at least wait it out a week or two with him on your bench and see how he does; if he gets back to playing full time then start him, if he becomes a platoon player then consider dropping him.

you really can't blame Manuel for sticking with Werth right now. Manuel stuck with Victorino everyday before he got hurt despite his early struggles so it's not like he didn't give him a chance. The Phils are playing well with Werth in there right now and it's not like Victorino is an established stud.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Siddo4ty4 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:56 pm

The Phils are playing well with Werth in there right now and it's not like Victorino is an established stud.

My point exactly, peeps who posted here make it sound as if Victorino is a godsend. If he starts at a platoon (which will likely happen) his Fantasy value plummets. Bourn looks better and better everyday, even coming back from injury and batting second.
Siddo4ty4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:10 pm

flloyd wrote:

Well they're playing now and Victorino's isn't starting again.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby wildbill » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Siddo4ty4 wrote:
The Phils are playing well with Werth in there right now and it's not like Victorino is an established stud.

My point exactly, peeps who posted here make it sound as if Victorino is a godsend. If he starts at a platoon (which will likely happen) his Fantasy value plummets. Bourn looks better and better everyday, even coming back from injury and batting second.

Who cares about Werth? He shouldn't even be part of the discussion. Why is Geoff "well past his prime, done nothing this year" Jenkins starting over Victorino tonight? I could understand last night with Jenkins history vs Maddux, but not tonight. I guess Jenkins has an inappropriate picture of Manuel in a safe deposit box.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rowe33 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm

My Victorino trade is looking worse with every Jenkins start. I sure read the situation well...
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deutschland » Thu May 01, 2008 2:43 am

wildbill wrote:
Siddo4ty4 wrote:

Who cares about Werth? He shouldn't even be part of the discussion. Why is Geoff "well past his prime, done nothing this year" Jenkins starting over Victorino tonight? I could understand last night with Jenkins history vs Maddux, but not tonight. I guess Jenkins has an inappropriate picture of Manuel in a safe deposit box.

Jenkins and Victorino have both stunk, but I think this also has to do more with batting order than fielding. This situation concerns Werth because he is the one occupying Victorino's spot at the top of the order, not Jenkins. Jenkins is in the lineup to drive in runs and hit some long-balls. Vic hasn't gotten on base this year and that's his primary job. Werth is doing it so he is getting the playing time. Victorino needs to stop striking out and popping up every at-bat to prove he belongs in the lineup as a table-setter for the big guys.

That being said, around this time last year Manuel benched Victorino, threatening him with a platoon, after a similar slow start. I remember because I dropped him and then he proceeded to steal about 6 bases in 3 days. Maybe this competition will get Victorino focused. I sure hope so cuz I'm counting on him heavily for steals for my main league.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Thu May 01, 2008 9:32 am

deutschland wrote:Jenkins and Victorino have both stunk, but I think this also has to do more with batting order than fielding. This situation concerns Werth because he is the one occupying Victorino's spot at the top of the order, not Jenkins. Jenkins is in the lineup to drive in runs and hit some long-balls. Vic hasn't gotten on base this year and that's his primary job. Werth is doing it so he is getting the playing time. Victorino needs to stop striking out and popping up every at-bat to prove he belongs in the lineup as a table-setter for the big guys.

That being said, around this time last year Manuel benched Victorino, threatening him with a platoon, after a similar slow start. I remember because I dropped him and then he proceeded to steal about 6 bases in 3 days. Maybe this competition will get Victorino focused. I sure hope so cuz I'm counting on him heavily for steals for my main league.

Um Jenkins isn't driving in runs last I checked (4 RBIs in 83 ABs). So if that's his job then he's a complete failure. Also you can't compare Victorino and Jenkins. Victorino has only been healthy for 1/2 a month, Jenkins has had significantly more ABs (83 vs 49) and has been a total failure the entire month. Also Werth has been fairly Werthless the last few days going 2 for 15 over the last 4 games. The pressure of Victorino returning getting to him?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtxdevil » Thu May 01, 2008 11:58 am

Per Yahoo notes. Looks like Victorino will be in tonight and perhaps the future.

May 1 CF Shane Victorino didn't start for a second straight night since returning from the disabled list. Victorino, who missed two weeks with a strained right calf, is expected to start Thursday night when the Phillies face Padres LHP Randy Wolf. Manager Charlie Manuel said Victorino likely will return to center field, with Jayson Werth moving to right. Victorino pinch hit in the seventh inning Wednesday night and popped out to first base.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates