Champions League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Champions League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Champions League

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Anybody else a soccer fan here and is watching United play Barca right now? Shaping up to a good game.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Champions League

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Chelsea's gonna win it all this year :-D
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chris8 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:10 pm

So Man Utd are there, making it an all-English final, whoever wins tomorrow.

English teams have been completely dominant in Europe this year! :-D ;-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I support ManU. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:53 pm

Goodness! My heart can't stop racing...UNITED BACK IN THE FINAL!!!! IT'S 1999 AGAIN!!!!! HE SCORES GOALS, PAUL SCHOLES, HE SCORES GOALS!!!!!!! :-D

Let me tell ya, I usually don't look forward a little more to United playing Barcelona. From an aesthetics point of view, it's any football fan's wet dream because both teams play football the right way, by attacking, attacking, attacking. As some of you know, I'm a half-Catalan and I didn't become a Barcelona fan, I was born one, and my father is as die-hard a Barca fan as there is. Somehow, I grew to be a United fan and when I was a pre-teen, I was a full-blown United fan (after all, it's kosher to root for two teams from two different countries). I remember a few of the epic clashes United had with Barca, and I remember having some kind of admiration as a wee lad in '91 when Mark Hughes, formerly a Barca player, scored sweet revenge on Barca. However, I remember 1998, and my goodness, it just killed me, killed me, to see United and Barca play. Fittingly they posted 3-3 draws in the group stage. Classic, classic games. If you get a chance to see those games, I highly recommended them.

So, today I ran off to the pub and like last week, I took my pop with me again just like last week's first leg, a father-son outing with me taking the United side and him, of course, with Barca, having a few beers and getting into the nervous time of it all. Most everyone there was a United fan, fantastic turnout as always from the Reds fans out there (this was the pub once owned by George Best after all).

It was a great game, much, much better quality from both sides. United didn't bottle it, but they were very tactical still and the defense was brilliant without Vidic. Rio Ferdinand is probably our MVP all year, which is saying something since Cristiano Ronaldo is only a couple of goals from breaking Denis Law's club goalscoring record. Scholes was great, think he played forward more than usual, and it paid dividends. Even Park Ji-Sung and Wes Brown were awesome. Leo Messi for Barca was terrific (so was Victor Valdez which is saying something), but I thought Frank Rikjaard should've started Henry for the second leg, although Frankie is too strict in the way he plays Henry out there.

That said, I still feel a little down on Barca, but it's a soap opera that needs to end. No more Ronaldinho, possibly Eto'o and Henry. I like Rijkaard's style, but he's out of favor managing Barca now unfortunately, and so this could lead to Jose Mourinho coming on board, and even if he forges better tactical discipline and better team chemistry, well, no one wants to see Barcelona play too defensive like Jose did at Chelsea.

As a United fan, I'm ecstatic. '99 brought many good memories, ditching school to watch the Champions League final vs. Bayern, and so this feels nostalgic for me. This certainly makes up for a very disappointing loss to Chelsea last Saturday (we could've won if Fergie played Anderson in the midfield). In hindsight, I preferred to see United/Barca play in the semis than in the final just because the CL Final is like the Super Bowl for a soccer fan and well, it would've been anti-climactic to say I'd be happy either way with either side of winning it all.

Bring on Liverpool or Chelsea. I'd want to see us paired up vs. the Scousers but because both United and Liverpool is arguably the most heated rivalry in England added to the fact United have the Red Army hooligan firm and Liverpool are a surly lot of fans, Moscow could see some fan trouble. Maybe? On the flip side of the coin, we want revenge on Chelsea for last Saturday and last year's FA Cup defeat.

But first and foremost, let's beat West Ham this weekend. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:15 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:25 pm

I like how you just post the United badge after every football-related post. ;-D

The call from Clive Tyldesley on Scholes' goal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=emrh82cA6Zg

;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I like how you just post the United badge after every football-related post. ;-D

The call from Clive Tyldesley on Scholes' goal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=emrh82cA6Zg

;-D

There's nothing to be said that you haven't already said. You beat me to every thread, man. :-b

That said, I vividly remember '99, I was in high school, and went from just supporting United to actually learning more and more about them about that time.

Agree 100% about Rio Ferdinand being the Manchester MVP. So under appreciated.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:16 pm

Actually PWF beat me to posting this. I was planning on posting a CL thread in my half-buzzed stage with a title that goes along with the Champions League theme song: "THE CHAAAAAMPIOOOONNNSSSS!!!!...league" :-b

When I spent summers in England as a wee lad and a teenager, I really got to know more about United history from lifelong United fans. The fact that the great George Best built a pub in my neighborhood really spiked my interest in learning more about the club. United have such a fascinating and poignant history that really puts a human face on what the club is all about, especially in the light that this is the 50 year anniversary of Munich.

I think the primary reason as to why Rio is somewhat underrated (I'd say he's more overshadowed by say, a Ronaldo) is mainly the perception that United overpaid to get him, but I don't believe you'll find a more rock-solid center-back either.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Overmars and Bergkamp would crush you like bugs.

!+)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to General Talk