Getting Crap for Trades as Commish - What to do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Getting Crap for Trades as Commish - What to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Getting Crap for Trades as Commish - What to do?

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:36 am

as long as you are not vetoing other trades then it is no big deal and just ignore them. One solution is to have league vote on a co-commish to review your trades.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Kazmir/Bay for Vlad was a bad trade, but all the others were just fine. If you were hearing objections at the time about that one and you ignored them, you may deserve your criticism, to some extent. I'm not necessarily saying I'd veto it, but if the league was up in arms about it, that's the only trade to my eye that they have a meritorious argument against.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:46 pm

who do you think is getting ripped off? I could see that deal making alot of sense to someone with a strong OF and in need of pitching. Jason Bay is a year removed (injured) from a top 10 Outfielder and Kazmir is a pretty good ace when healthy.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:42 pm

BigMusky wrote:who do you think is getting ripped off? I could see that deal making alot of sense to someone with a strong OF and in need of pitching. Jason Bay is a year removed (injured) from a top 10 Outfielder and Kazmir is a pretty good ace when healthy.

I said I wouldn't veto, but it's a bad trade, you know which side wins. Come on. :-°
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby phorts » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks for the help on this one guys, I really appreciate it. Here's how i handled it.

I talked to the other managers in the league and they all confessed that they were just giving me crap and were giving the other manager crap as well for doing the deal as everyone feels Holliday is the #1 OF and Vlad is a top 5 at best. They were really harping on the fact that Reynolds is a bum and dropping Zimmerman in the transaction was ludicrous.

I talked to the Holliday owner and he was bummed out that some other managers were upset about the deal, and he said he would do Holliday for Vlad straight up (Hey, he loves vlad, that's why i traded to get him so i could flip him for Holliday). I reproposed the trade and asked him to just not drop Zimmerman (He had Posada on the BN so i told him to DL Posada and accept the trade if he still wanted to. He has Vic Martinez at C anyways.)

He happily agreed and i'm happily a Holliday owner. The other managers are still bummed out but it's mostly because they werent crafty enough to get Holliday. Yes, knowing the other managers personal preferences is an advantage...but it's not one that shouldnt be used.

I have money on this just as everyone else does, and i've sacrificed a great deal of SP to get my offense the way it is...in the end, who the hell knows, Reynolds could have 45 HR's and Holliday could break a leg. Now I just gotta decide if I want to use my #1 waiver on Mad Max...... ugh.

Current Team:

C - Ryan Doumit
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Ian Kinsler
SS - Carlos Guillen
3B - Miggy Cabrera
OF - Matt Holliday
OF - Grady Sizemore
OF - Torii Hunter
OF - Corey Hart
BN - Hunter Pence

SP - Josh Beckett
SP - Justin Verlander
SP - Chad Billingsley
SP - Dustin McGowan
SP - Jeff Weaver
RP - Joakim Soria
RP - Kerry Wood
RP - Brad Lidge
DL - John Lackey

Just dropped Blanton for Hart and when this 2-1 deal goes through I'll have room for Max.... if I do it.
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tah161 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Well first and for most you dug your self a hole with the Bay situation. and I can see how that is effecting peoples comments on your more recent trades. Some of the people probably view as shady for telling someone to get rid of Bay and then taking him yourself so they now think some of the other stuff you do is shady. Honestly I can see where they are coming from. You dug this hole your self.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tuna411 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:12 pm

phorts wrote:Sorry for the long post, but i'm in a predicament and could use some outside advice. I feel it's best to give the background on the league when asking for moral support. Thanks in advance for helping and certainly will Help in Return.

I run my own Y! Plus League and have been doing so for the past 4 years. Most of the same people have been playing for the past 4 years with some new faces in and out. It's not a highly competitive league by any means, but I try to keep it lighthearted and fun...

Anyways, this year there's been a LOT of trading activity going on and i've been on the forefront. I feel like i've won in most of the trades i've gotten done, but some managers are giving me crap for using my friendship/commish status unfairly to get trades done in my favor. In other words, they think i'm taking advantage of the other, less astute managers.

I've been having to justify each trade and defend myself against these accusations. In the end people just throw their hands up and say "whatever dude...". I can get defense at times so i'm posting here to ask how other commish's might handle this situation. Here's some of my trades that i've put through.

1. My Adam Wainright for his JJ Hardy (Bad trade for me)
2. My Brad Hawpe for his Ian Kinsler (I'm likin Kinsler this year and Hawpe was a BN OF for me)
3. My Adam Dunn for his Carolos Guillen (Could go either way but so far is working out as my first trade for a SS was a bust)

Those 2 trades were with the two owners I get the most flac from, so naturally they were OK with those. Here's some that I was able to pull off with other managers.

1. My Figgins/Felix/Volquez for his Sizemore/Verlander - So far this has been killing me. I played this guy last week and i got to see Felix/Volquez twice each.. I played Verlander twice and got two lousy starts. I drafted Figgins in round 4 this year (very high but I like him). So i feel this was a good trade both ways as he needed pitching and I needed more power without losing too much speed and I had a surplus in pitching. Needless to say i got some heat for this... but ultimately people calmed down.

2. My Kazmir/Bay for his Vlad Guerrero - Different Manager. He needed pitching BADLY and had SERIOUS surplus in OF. (Hamilton, Markakis, Rios, Vlad, and 2 others). We talked about Beckett for Vlad and he was down but ultimately i sent over Kaz/Bay. He accepted and again, i got crap for it. Mainly because one of the crap givers dropped Bay off his team because I was callin him useless (because i wanted him to drop him so i could get him). I think I won on this deal but people saw it differently as Kaz was on the DL and he didnt need OF. Hey, i have to admit i felt a little guilty about it, but I also know that i've put through much more questionable trades...

3. My Vlad/Reynolds for his Holliday - Different Manager again - This is the trade that put people over the edge tonight as it was just accepted. I got 3 texts within 15 minutes from managers going apey Saying "No way dude!". I mean, Vlad is NASTY and Reynolds is on a tear...i sold high on reynolds and i'm not confident on Vladdy this year. Again, i think I won in this deal but he needed to upgrade at 3B (He has a slumpy Zimmerman) while not losing too much at OF. He has Holliday, McClouth, Justin Upton, and Chris Young. Not too shabby.

So, as the commish people think i'm taking advantage of these guys. I feel bad.... i want to keep things fair and I want to keep the peace.

Are these trades unfair? What would you do?

Thanks again for your help.

PS: Other trades that I have passed in the league: ( I have not vetoed a trade yet and will only veto if I feel there is tampering involved or if there is not full disclosure between both parties, ie. a player is heading to the DL and a manager tries to trade them before the other player figures it out)

Rich Hill for Todd Jones
Snell/Church for Ichiro
Ichiro for V. Wells
Magglio for Teix
Magglio/Haren/Saito for Wells/Hamels
Oswalt/Saito for Delgado

Another brag post, sigh...
tuna411
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fighting Platypi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Another snarky remark to a long dead thread, sigh...

:-t
Fighting Platypi
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner