Danks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Danks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Danks

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Is he for real?

He was like the Chi Sox's top pitching prosopect, or close to it, and he was supposed to be huge. Well, he certainly is pitching well this year. Is he worth keeping?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Danks

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Keeping...for next year or keeping in your roster?

I don't think many people would drop Danks right now and it's still early to make any decision for next year.

If he's for real? It depends on what you are expecting from him. He's pitched very well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles from time to time. He gave up 28HR last year and he will have to do much better in that category this year to keep being successful, and so far so good.

Why is John Danks so Good?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Keeping...for next year or keeping in your roster?

I don't think many people would drop Danks right now and it's still early to make any decision for next year.

If he's for real? It depends on what you are expecting from him. He's pitched very well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles from time to time. He gave up 28HR last year and he will have to do much better in that category this year to keep being successful, and so far so good.

Why is John Danks so Good?

Keeping on my roster, I mean, as opposed to dropping him soon to spot start.

And my expectations, or rather, desire, for danks is a line around 14 W 3.80 ERA 1.25 WHIP 175K

Something similar to Jon Maine's line last year.

Am I dreaming?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Chatrain57 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 am

I don't think that you're dreaming. Danks had a really good first half last year, then kinda ran out of gas in the second half (pitched more innings in the majors than he ever did in the minors). Plus, Danks could have won at least 3-4 more games last year had he had some run support, and this year's Sox team is better offensively. I say that you definitely could get 12-15 W, a 3.85-4.05 ERA, WHIP of 1.65-1.85 and K/9 of almost 7. Definitely not bad numbers for a #3 or #4 fantasy starter.
Goodnight Ladies! GOODNIGHT SIR!!!
Hit the lights sweetheart!
Chatrain57
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:06 am

Depends on the size and depth bench of your league, if you're talking a redraft format.
If there's a large enough pool of intriguing FA starters that you're considering dropping him, then maybe his potential value is not quite as high as in most 12-team+ mixed, where I'm sure he's being held until he gives a reason to cut him loose.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Relentless » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:11 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:He was like the Chi Sox's top pitching prosopect, or close to it, and he was supposed to be huge. Well, he certainly is pitching well this year. Is he worth keeping?

He was actually a top pitching prospect of the Rangers, along with Volquez and Cueto.

Well, is he for real? Hopefully, since I am a huge Sox fan. Also last year, he came in to the league thinking he can overpower hitters because he was a big K guy in the minors. But this wasn't the case in the majors, and this is for a reason why he got hit pretty hard last year. All I can say is that I've seen improvements, and hopefully he can keep this pace up.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trevornm16 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:58 am

cueto wasnt a rangers prospect, he was signed as an undrafted free agent out of the DR by the reds in 2004, but i believe danks was the main prospect involved in Brandon McCarthy going to Texas.
trevornm16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Boogua » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Relentless wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:He was like the Chi Sox's top pitching prosopect, or close to it, and he was supposed to be huge. Well, he certainly is pitching well this year. Is he worth keeping?

He was actually a top pitching prospect of the Rangers, along with Volquez and Cueto.

Well, is he for real? Hopefully, since I am a huge Sox fan. Also last year, he came in to the league thinking he can overpower hitters because he was a big K guy in the minors. But this wasn't the case in the majors, and this is for a reason why he got hit pretty hard last year. All I can say is that I've seen improvements, and hopefully he can keep this pace up.

Cueto pitched for the Rangers? I always thought the Texas trio was the DVD which was comprised of Danks, Volquez, and Diamond. Well, even so, Danks looks really good this year (I'm a White Sox fan) and he looks to be challenging hitters a lot more ala Mark Buehrle (but with much better stuff). Look for him to be pretty solid I think. Lets just hope he doesn't run out of gas again.
Boogua
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Injuries & Player Updates