Thoughts on No Waivers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on No Waivers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on No Waivers...

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:52 am

I posted this on the message board of a league I just drafted in, in which there are no waivers. What opinions do you guys have? Are my concerns justified?

I figure I'll take this opportunity to consolidate the points made in my previous posts and hash out why I view waivers as a necessary obstacle to acquiring a dropped player.

First off, I'll bring up the worst case scenario factor. In August, there may, for whatever reason be hard feelings among players in this league. I hope that there isn't, but no waivers leaves the window for collusion wide open. I'll drop my best players at 2AM, take them, and make a title run, is a hypothetical situation that has happened before.

In addition, in the event that an owner incidentally, and by mistake drops an elite player, the commissioner can take measures to ensure that this player is not acquired by another team. No one is going to intentionally drop Nomar Garciaparra, barring season ending injury, but it HAS happened before. In this case, a manager with a "card layed is a card played" attitude is going to be a tough sell to relinquish a player like this, if he is fortunate enough to be the first to notice.

Even if we were to assume that we can count on the ethics of total strangers, and I can already make that presumption with some of you, having spoken during the draft, there is an additional competitive reason to use waivers. This is simply that the first person to notice a player should not necessarily be the one who gets the first and in many cases, only shot at that player.

Sure, the more active you are, the more likely you are to be that person, but let's say for instance that manager A and B live on the West Coast, manager C is more active, but lives on the East Coast. A valuable player dropped by player A after 9:00 PM PT is thus much more likely to go to player B, simply because of the time zone discrepency.

One might also note that Yahoo Sports operates on Pacific time, so that players who are added are added at Midnight Pacific, so barring unusual sleeping habits, the ambitious owners out west have a huge advantage in grabbing new players.

Ok, I won't bore you with any further rambling, but I think you'll see my point. I think we kind of have to have waivers, but this league is so deep, it doesn't figure to make a huge difference, but it COULD, and it COULD get UGLY. As in a manager dropping all of his players ugly, who incidentally wouldn't be on waivers.

I've seen it before folks.
Peace

What do you think?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sdfan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:01 am

The only thing I have to say is having no waivers causes many problems and I don't think I've seen a league with this feature where I actually liked it(and I've been in a few like this).
sdfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:05 am

I like some of those reasons. I prefer a 1-day waiver period. Not too long but long enough to squash potential collusion issues. I could always just phone a friend up on the phone and tell him to sign on because I'm gonna drop a bomb. Plus, it can help dissuade people from doing the DL trick where you drop a player, pick up an injured player, put him on the DL, and then pick the original player back up again. I would like to see Yahoo allow the dropping owner to put in a waiver claim for a player rather than have to wait until he's a FA. Might not be like real-life but would be good for fantasy baseball anyway.

Either way, I like a 1-day waiver and trade period. That is long enough for active owners to see what moves are being made.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Andy1234 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:30 am

I think a 1 day waiver works the best. No waiver does lead to many of the issues you brought up.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:47 am

I agree about the time zone point. If you have highly active owners, this can make a huge difference (or cause some serious sleep loss). It gets even more extreme when you play with folks on different continents...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:32 am

Yeah, I like the 1 day waiver rule too. 2 days is too long. I start to get antsy.

On the other hand, I wish that it was possible to pick people up directly to your DL. Because when I try to pull that drop a player to put an available player on my DL, I always get screwed.

I also wish that the dropping owner should be allowed to put in a waiver claim on a player they dropped. I try to do that often (because I'm indecisive and change my mind about a guy 3 seconds after I drop him), and again, usually get screwed. Although once or twice, I was able to wait until he cleared waivers and pick him back up.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:46 pm

Good letter. ;-D

You made some good points and I agree that there should be a waiver of some sort. 24 hour minimum. Hopefully, the other owners will agree with you. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Angels02and04 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:44 pm

Didn't Yahoo add a feature where Yahoo will not allow certain players to be dropped so this doesn't happen? I know there may be a solid player that isn't on Yahoo's "can't drop" list, but it'll never allow a Nomar or Garrett Anderson or Brian Giles type to be dropped.
Angels02and04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:12 pm

Should be at least 1 complete day of waivers. I know I wouldn't join a league w/o one.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby phatjagz14 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:31 pm

Yahoo added something called "the Can't Cut List". During the season, you can never drop the elite players on this list. I've been commish of a league for 3 years with no waivers, and we never have any problems. This will just help even more.
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers