Loduca adds 30 lbs and may play LF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loduca adds 30 lbs and may play LF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Angels02and04 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:40 pm

I saw LoDuca on the local FSN station yesterday and it isn't fat. Dude put on some muscle.
Angels02and04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hardcore » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:05 pm

mightyian5 wrote:any 32 yearold man who goes to a gym during an offseason can add 30 lbs or more. the offseason is near 6 months long. anyone who says you cant add 30 lbs in a gym over 6 months with a mixture of personal drive and the insanely advanced supplements availble to the public is very uninformed on the topic of weight lifting.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. It's impossible for BODY BUILDERS to gain 30lbs of muscle in 6 months. In 24-26 weeks , he would have to gain more than 1lb a week. A full time body builder can gain 10-15lbs of pure muscle in a year without steroids. Paul LoDuca is no body builder. He may have gained 30lbs, but it wasn't muscle. I venture to guess he most of the weight gain was fat.
Da idiot says: The dow is meaningless
Stupidest thing ever said on any message board
hardcore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:57 pm

:-) the hypocrisy of this thread is just killing me.

Hey, when you saw La Duca on TV? was his head bigger? ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:28 pm

Firstly, I'll state that I am a Dodger fan...

Secondly, most of the reports I've read say he's gained 20 pounds of muscle...officially, on the Dodgers site at MLB.com he is reported as gaining 25 pounds of muscle.

Thirdly, if it's not muscle, he's not going to be able to lie about it for long...hence, why lie in the first place...and since Lo Duca is a stand-up guy in my book, I can't see him lying or using steroids period.

Gaining 20 to 25 pounds of muscle in 6 months, using only natural supplements, is not a medical impossibility...nor would I say it's even a medical improbability if the person is dedicated enough...I've gained 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months before, drinking only whey protein shakes to supplement my workouts...of course, I went from 170 to 190, while Lo Duca's gone from 185 to 205/210...and while I have a few inches on Lo Duca, he wore out and lost weight during last season, so some of that weight was replacing former mass he already had.

I think someone wrote that professional body builders can't gain 30 pounds of muscle in a year...I completely agree...but because body builders have already nearly maxed out the possible muscle that they can obtain, they are less likely to put on more muscle mass at any sort of significant rate...a normal person can gain muscle with relative quickness, with a large calorie intake, lots of protein, and a rigorous workout regemine.

Lastly, I'm sure he was disappointed the way he's tailed off the past two seasons after the break. I think it's logical that he would try to make himself stronger/more fit. And Lo Duca using steroids just seems absurd to me. He is a role model for Italian-Americans and he is fully aware of the responsibilities that come along with that job. He is constantly giving back to the community and I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate to me that he is using.

GO DODGERS!
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:14 pm

fez.......I agree with a lot of what you wrote but being a role model and doing good things in the community have nothing to do with it. We are talking about getting a competitive edge. I'm not saying that he is taking them. I'm just saying that if he was, I doubt that those things would come into it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kvillantz18 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:14 pm

[quote="fezzik"]

I've gained 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months before, drinking only whey protein shakes to supplement my workouts

You should have taken some before and after pictures and sold them to that protein supplier. You could have made some money to buy more protein.
Up in here?
kvillantz18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:36 pm

kvillantz18 wrote:
fezzik wrote:
I've gained 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months before, drinking only whey protein shakes to supplement my workouts

You should have taken some before and after pictures and sold them to that protein supplier. You could have made some money to buy more protein.

I'm not sure exactly what the point of this post was...if you're serious, let me say that I didn't get that big (6'3" 190 is still pretty slender)...if you're being a smart a$$ (the most likely scenario), why are you being one? Are you implying I was lying? Do you just have a thing against Lo Duca? Are you upset I made a sound argument in his defense? Anyway, if you think he's on 'roids I don't really care....that's your judgement to make. I just thought I'd add some info to the thread.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mightyian5 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:06 am

good to hear that im not that im not the only one who may have faith in him, and actually knows the possibilities involved in weight lifiting and fitness regimes.

the fact of all of this is, if you dont want him on your team because hes "too fat", than leave him alone. its all up to you.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:19 am

mightyian5 wrote:good to hear that im not that im not the only one who may have faith in him, and actually knows the possibilities involved in weight lifiting and fitness regimes.

the fact of all of this is, if you dont want him on your team because hes "too fat", than leave him alone. its all up to you.

I don't want him on my team beacuse he sucks and can't hit!!
On top of that he is a Dodger hit half his games in an awful park.
and now appapently he is either a "Short n Fat Sucky Dodger" or an "Short n Juiced Sucky Dodger", not sure which. But I won't go neither either of them.

so was his head bigger? :-D curious
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:41 am

wrveres wrote:
mightyian5 wrote:good to hear that im not that im not the only one who may have faith in him, and actually knows the possibilities involved in weight lifiting and fitness regimes.

I don't want him on my team beacuse he sucks and can't hit!!
On top of that he is a Dodger hit half his games in an awful park.
and now appapently he is either a "Short n Fat Sucky Dodger" or an "Short n Juiced Sucky Dodger", not sure which. But I won't go neither either of them.

so was his head bigger? :-D curious

exactly. he was on my "youve got to be kidding me, right?" list this yr. The news of him gaining 30 lbs at the age of 32 in the offseason is not something that boosts my perception of him. I still dont have him as a top 15 fantasy C, so why even bother?

One question to fezzik - how old are you? how old were you when you went on your program? Do you think age should be a feactor in determining whether or not this athlete (he was an athlete before this offseason, right?) gained muscle or fat?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers