Smoltz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Smoltz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Smoltz

Postby sansav » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:24 pm

His shoulder was flaring up pretty badly today, left after 4 IP. His comment was that the shoulder was preventing him from making certain pitches. More than likely he will be skipped this week and a DL trip is a possibility
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Smoltz

Postby dssguy99 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:54 pm

I just read the MLB.com article, and while Im sure he will get skipped, that is not what he said. He said he needs to figure out what is going on...or something on that line.
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sansav » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:32 pm

This is what he said:

The Mets knocked out John Smoltz after four innings in his first shaky outing of the season. Smoltz (3-2) had allowed just two runs in four games. He gave up more than that in the first 1 1/3 innings Sunday. Smoltz surrendered four hits and seven runs in his four innings, but the shoulder was the reason he left the game, he said. Smoltz described his problem as "discomfort," which prevented him from delivering pitches the way he wanted. He was vague about what will happen next. "The next couple of days I should know what paths we're looking at," Smoltz said. Smoltz hadn't allowed a homer in more than 24 innings this season, but he gave up two Sunday to two players who were struggling hitting the long ball.
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cwrtlm » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:06 am

As usual, just as soon as I get ready to trade a player some stupid injury pops up and now no one will make a deal unless I give him away. I was hoping for a deal of Smoltz for Crawford or Ichiro. Oh well, hopefully he will come out with another 10 K performance and I can send him then.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sansav » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:40 am

Living in Atlanta I heard an interview on the radio this morning with Smoltz ... it did not sound good. They are going to skip him this week, but was most troublesome was the tone of Smoltz's voice and some of the things he said, like:

"I need to think about me 1st"

Comments around "quality of life after baseball"

He is getting the shoulder checked out this week, but I have a bad feeling about this one
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CruiseJD » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm

sansav wrote:Living in Atlanta I heard an interview on the radio this morning with Smoltz ... it did not sound good. They are going to skip him this week, but was most troublesome was the tone of Smoltz's voice and some of the things he said, like:

He is getting the shoulder checked out this week, but I have a bad feeling about this one

Yep. I have a bad feeling about this. He has the Cy Young, 3000Ks, and a HOF spot. I think he may be considering retirement if the prognosis is a long-term delay before he is able to pitch again.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TK0001 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Makes me wonder if he's experienced this "discomfort" all season and had it shot up until he got to 3,000 K's...
TK0001
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CruiseJD » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:49 pm

TK0001 wrote:Makes me wonder if he's experienced this "discomfort" all season and had it shot up until he got to 3,000 K's...

Your'e not hinting that Smoltz only came back to get the 3000Ks are you . . . :-t
That would be a royal FU to us fantasy players LOL.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 pm

CruiseJD wrote:
sansav wrote:Living in Atlanta I heard an interview on the radio this morning with Smoltz ... it did not sound good. They are going to skip him this week, but was most troublesome was the tone of Smoltz's voice and some of the things he said, like:

Yep. I have a bad feeling about this. He has the Cy Young, 3000Ks, and a HOF spot. I think he may be considering retirement if the prognosis is a long-term delay before he is able to pitch again.

It wouldn't surprise me if he goes on to retire within the next week or so.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby TK0001 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:59 pm

CruiseJD wrote:
TK0001 wrote:Makes me wonder if he's experienced this "discomfort" all season and had it shot up until he got to 3,000 K's...

Your'e not hinting that Smoltz only came back to get the 3000Ks are you . . . :-t
That would be a royal FU to us fantasy players LOL.

I probably would if I were him, but then again he's surely not the jerkwad I am...
TK0001
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates