Armando Galarraga? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Armando Galarraga?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Armando Galarraga?

Postby spacehamster01 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Well, this guy has currently thrown 5 innings against Anaheim without allowing a hit. His ERA is down to 1.06, and he shut down Toronto in his last start in 5.1 innings. I looked up his Minor League stats and they weren't particularly impressive, and I know its been only 3 starts for him, but is there anything we should be looking for in him? I assume not.
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Armando Galarraga?

Postby Crystalstorm » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm just wondering what will happen when D. Willis comes off the DL.Robertson should get moved to the bullpen IMO and they should keep Galarraga in the rotation.
I looked at his stats too,and I wasn't very impressed.But some pitchers step iup in the Bigs.Having better defenses behind pitchers in the major leagues helps pichers compared to the minors.
I want to grab him before someone else.But it is only 3 games.I think it's worth the risk with Detroit Offense.
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby siQ_innovation » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Crystalstorm wrote:I'm just wondering what will happen when D. Willis comes off the DL.Robertson should get moved to the bullpen IMO and they should keep Galarraga in the rotation.
I looked at his stats too,and I wasn't very impressed.But some pitchers step iup in the Bigs.Having better defenses behind pitchers in the major leagues helps pichers compared to the minors.
I want to grab him before someone else.But it is only 3 games.I think it's worth the risk with Detroit Offense.

the D-Train is done IMO. He had one good season and started going downhill from there. This Armando Galarraga guy turned the Tigers around. He was (at one point) the only solid pitcher the Tigers were starting and with the help of Granderson coming back to the line-up, Detroit just got a spark lighted under their @$$e$ and are rolling out like they were projected to. I like this guy and think he's worth the pick-up.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Reputation thus far is pretty strong honestly... barely anybody had heard of him two weeks ago, even those of us who keep close tabs on the Tigers didn't really see anything in him.

What I know of him at this point is:
- Control. Supposedly he has very few walks, and throws a lot of strikes.
- Slider. Ala Bonderman, he's got a very similar "Mr. Snappy", with a lot of late movement (especially effective against righties).

Basically, that's it.

I have no idea what Leyland/Dombrowski will do when D-Train is rolling again, but I hope he stays on either as the #5 starter or replacing Miner/Grilli as the long-reliever.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:48 pm

MTUCache wrote:Reputation thus far is pretty strong honestly... barely anybody had heard of him two weeks ago, even those of us who keep close tabs on the Tigers didn't really see anything in him.

What I know of him at this point is:
- Control. Supposedly he has very few walks, and throws a lot of strikes.
- Slider. Ala Bonderman, he's got a very similar "Mr. Snappy", with a lot of late movement (especially effective against righties).

Basically, that's it.

I have no idea what Leyland/Dombrowski will do when D-Train is rolling again, but I hope he stays on either as the #5 starter or replacing Miner/Grilli as the long-reliever.

my guess is he either goes back to AAA or Robertson or Rogers goes on the DL with a tired arm. i doubt he goes to the pen with Cruceta due to come up soon

i want to believe he's a legitimate MLB starter as a Tigers fan, but i think it's smoke and mirrors at this point
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby 0CUBS4ME » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:30 am

I picked him off waivers this week, but I'm playing wait and see by keeping him on the benchh for now. Hopefully he's the real deal and I'll get comfortable enough to actually use him. I guess fornow I don't plan to give him a start unless I'm hurting in pitching cats in a given week.
0CUBS4ME
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby zevon » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:19 am

He's given up hits in 18 innings spanning 3 games, had a 14-2 ground ball/flyball line today.
I picked him up for a spot start today, he gave me no reason not to keep him for another.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:25 am

The dude keeps his slider down and hitters keep knocking it into the dirt, or miss it altogether. They showed Willis throwing off a mound and he still looked to be landing gingerly....and threw a ball the pitch they showed :*)
Should Galarraga contunue to pitch like he has I don't know how they could bench him. They simply aren't getting consistant starts from any of their other pitchers.
Maybe they should split starts with Bonderman and WIllis, yanking them after their 5th BB. Then they could just see if the pen could pitch the last 4 innings.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Surfs up » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 pm

If Scherzer doesn't come up in the week or so I may grab him. I think he starts against the Yankees next week. Pitched well against a good hitting Angels team. this will be another good test.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby siQ_innovation » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Surfs up wrote:If Scherzer doesn't come up in the week or so I may grab him. I think he starts against the Yankees next week. Pitched well against a good hitting Angels team. this will be another good test.

Where have you heard about Scherzer coming up within the week?

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers