Why is John Danks so good?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is John Danks so good??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is John Danks so good??

Postby fbc_fan » Tue May 06, 2008 1:02 pm

THT indicates that his era is indicative of his actual performance right now, but a few things are odd to me. his K/BB rate is holding, so that is a good sign. however, his gb% his at almost 50% and it seems to be holding his hr/9 in check. now, if he can keep up this gb% he will probably have a decent year, but my question is: can he? the only time he came close to this kind of a gb% was a few years back in high A (or AA, either way he's a couple years removed from producing anything like this). anyone think this gb% isn't just a sample size induced fluke?
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby makewayhomer » Tue May 06, 2008 1:17 pm

fbc_fan wrote:THT indicates that his era is indicative of his actual performance right now, but a few things are odd to me. his K/BB rate is holding, so that is a good sign. however, his gb% his at almost 50% and it seems to be holding his hr/9 in check. now, if he can keep up this gb% he will probably have a decent year, but my question is: can he? the only time he came close to this kind of a gb% was a few years back in high A (or AA, either way he's a couple years removed from producing anything like this). anyone think this gb% isn't just a sample size induced fluke?

I believe that GB% tends to normalize pretty quickly.

his improvement could have a lot to do with a great new pitch - the cutter.

as you point out his FIP is 3.12, which would indicate his results right now are in line with his performance. similarly, his QERA is 3.81. he's not really getting very lucky.

the question is just "can he maintain his performance".
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fbc_fan » Tue May 06, 2008 1:44 pm

makewayhomer wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:THT indicates that his era is indicative of his actual performance right now, but a few things are odd to me. his K/BB rate is holding, so that is a good sign. however, his gb% his at almost 50% and it seems to be holding his hr/9 in check. now, if he can keep up this gb% he will probably have a decent year, but my question is: can he? the only time he came close to this kind of a gb% was a few years back in high A (or AA, either way he's a couple years removed from producing anything like this). anyone think this gb% isn't just a sample size induced fluke?

I believe that GB% tends to normalize pretty quickly.

his improvement could have a lot to do with a great new pitch - the cutter.

as you point out his FIP is 3.12, which would indicate his results right now are in line with his performance. similarly, his QERA is 3.81. he's not really getting very lucky.

the question is just "can he maintain his performance".

pretty much. but if qera is quick era, like i'm assuming it is, then it is highly dependent on his gb%. that is what is in question in my eyes. if he can keep pitching at a near 50% rate, he should be good. if that drops off significantly, i'm going to get scared.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:05 am

This discussion should probably be re-opened. Outside of a mediocre start against the Twins about a week ago, he's been solid. He's only had two outings all year where he's given up over 3 ER.

It must be a new pitch or something, because I didn't expect this out of him, and I do wonder if he can keep it up. He now has a 2.80 ERA and 1.22 WHIP.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:57 am

There's little chance he'll get 15 wins, probably finishing around 12 b/c his offense hates supporting him. He's basically halfway through the season at 6 wins and hasn't won his last 2-3 starts where he pitched brilliantly.

I think the big key for him is the GB rate, as everyone else indicated. One possibility is the fact that Danks has been throwing a cut fastball more, sawing off righthanders' bats pretty effectively. Ironically, it's not the more impressive 91-93 mph 4 seamer that actually is the key pitch, it's that 86-88 mph cutter.

If you look at his left/right splits, he has a .232 BAA vs. right-handers this year vs. .292 last season.

I don't expect him to keep his GB% up there quite so high, but there's no reason he can't be around 45% for the rest of the season while maintaining a decent K rate. I see him going on a 3.50-3.75 ERA pace from here on out, hurt by his home ballpark, which is terrible for him (3.89 ERA/1.39 WHIP home, 1.69 ERA, 1.05 WHIP away (!)).
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 am

I want Danks to do well so that Pogo has to wear a Barbie avatar. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 pm

ERA is currently 2.80. Looking solid for me thus far :-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:52 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:ERA is currently 2.80. Looking solid for me thus far :-D

I'll say. I feel pretty safe he isn't going to get 15 wins but it is going to take a major implosion to save me from the Barbie av.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby clevername » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:16 pm

another outstanding start tonight brings his season ERA down to 2.50 and his WHIP down to 1.18...and he's yet again left without the win.

The White Sox need to start hitting for this guy.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Danks does not know how to fail :-°
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter