Javy Lopez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Javy Lopez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:38 am

prodpaul wrote:Pudge in front of Piazza?? NO way. Sorry don't see it.

Maybe if Pudge played with a better lineup but to put him in front of Piazza as a Tiger is a Fantasy Mistake.
I don't see why everyone thinks Pudge as a Tiger is bad for fantasy. Park effect is a wash. Fla had a better lineup yes, but the AL Central pitching and DH should make up for those lost numbers easily.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mightyian5 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:00 am

if piazza is 100% healthy, which could be a reach, than hes second behind posada. javy comes in 3rd, and pudge is left in 4th.

if you like to mention piazza on a slide, dont forget that pudge is near the same age as him, and those 16 homers last year didnt do much to prove otherwise.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dannahann » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:40 am

Personally, I feel you can make an argument for any of the four to be ranked anywhere from 1 to 4. All have questions, be it health, hitting lower in the lineup, new staffs and leagues, following a career year, etc... Piazza has the highest ceiling so if I were forced to rank them I'd go Piazza IRod Lopez Posada BUT they'd all be ranked within a few spots of each other OVERALL, maybe all in the same round or two?

As for Javy in particular here's my take:
I remeber 2 HRs Javy hit to left center at Camden during an interleague series I attended about 3 years ago. Both were only 2 rows in and wouldn't have been HRs in the majority of ballparks including ATL. So all things being equal I might assume more HR, but all things aren't equal IMO. Typically it's toughest on catchers to change teams, their primary concern (at least early on) is learning the nuances of their own pitchers and the opponents hitters. Their own offense is secondary. Additionally, compared to the other four catchers, Javy is more of a guess hitter and could struggle some while learning the opposing pitchers in the AL.

Here's an unbiased take on the four catchers (I keep an updated spreadsheet that averages any projections I've found...so far I have 10 sources) The composite sheet projects these numbers:

Javy 447AB/ .292AV/ .902OPS/ 30 HR/ 92RBI/ 72R/ 0SB
Piazza 446AB/ .296AV/ .921OPS/ 29HR/ 90RBI/ 74R/ 0SB
Posada 490AB/ .276AV/ .871OPS/ 26HR/ 95RBI/ 79R/ 2SB
Pudge 482AB/ .298AV/ .846OPS/ 19HR/ 80RBI/ 80R/ 8SB
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:26 pm

The top 5 catchers are:

1. Javy Lopez
2. Jorge Posada
3. Matt LeCroy- full-time DH batting clenup
4. Mike Piazza
5. Pudge

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Area51's » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:54 pm

To stay on topic.....I am a bit nervous about picking Javy Lopez at all. Nothing's to say he won't go Javy Lopez and disappear off the planet of talented hitting catchers, just like he's done before...even w/ the AL and DH. Posada is probably the surest thing out of the top 4. Piazza has the most upside, and I honestly have no clue what to expect from I-Rod.

Posada would probably be the only one out of that 4 that I would pick early, else wait and pick and choose out of the LeCroy/C. Wilson/J. Phillips situations.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers