Frigid Jack Cust - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Frigid Jack Cust

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Frigid Jack Cust

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:19 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Apparently the theory about Jack Cust not seeing fastballs this year has been disproved.

from THT. Link

hint: Click the link if you are interested in the article.

Thanks Kimchi. ;-D
So what he's saying is, nothing is happening different from '07, he's just having a COLD streak.
The Oakland coaching staff will figure this out then ;-D ;-D (Status upgraded to sleeper :-D )
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Fri May 02, 2008 1:12 am

Encouraging signs today.
The problems were too much flying out to left and grounding to right.
Today:

- J. Cust singled to center, F. Thomas to third, E. Brown to second

- J. Cust homered to deep right center

- J. Cust singled to right, F. Thomas to third, E. Brown to second

- J. Cust singled to center

Sweet ;-D
I came this close to dropping him (thanks to Kimchi I didn't ;-D ), and some teams having games off meant I got todays performance in all 3 of my leagues.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri May 02, 2008 6:27 pm

:-)

Mike Fast has written a follow up to his Cust article from earlier in the week. Link

Cust breakout?
by Mike Fast
May 02, 2008

Jack Cust went 4-for-4 with a home run and two walks last night. Is that the end of his April slump?

In the last few days after publishing an article on Jack Cust's April 2008 hitting, I have learned a few things about Cust from contributors to other discussion boards. In the Oakland A's clubhouse at Scout.com, shirls442000 made the following post:

Did anybody watch the hour long Baseball Tonight on Sunday? My buddy called me to tell me they did a segment on Cust - saying (and showing) that his bat speed was very slow to start the year but that recently he had regained his bat speed of years past and to expect a break out soon. In other words a fastball hitter who can't catch up to fastballs is not much good and that is what he had been early on. I did not see the segment but wondered if anybody did and can add some detail to these generalities.

I didn't see that Baseball Tonight segment, so you're hearing it third-hand from me, and you can take that for what it's worth. I would be curious to hear from any of you who did see the piece on Cust on Baseball Tonight about what specifically they showed about his bat speed.

Later in the same thread, livethedream added the following observation:

There are so many times I've been watching and Cust gets his fastball down the middle and just swings right through it. It's not like there haven't been pitches for Cust to hit this year. Go back and look yourself. He got at least one meatball a game the past two weeks. He just didn't seem to quite get around on it. You'll also notice if you watch that he fouled a ton of balls off to left field, which also suggests he just wasn't getting around on pitches. Now watch the last four games or so. Everything is lined from left-center on around, which is more in line with what he normally does.

Again, take it for what it's worth coming second-hand from me.

However, I would like to present a little bit of PITCHf/x data for Cust from the last two games of the series with the Angels which were not included in my article that was published on Wednesday. In those two games, Cust collected three singles, a double, a home run, and three walks in 10 plate appearances.

How did the Angels pitch him? Cust faced six right-handed pitchers: Ervin Santana, Justin Speier, Nick Adenhart, Dustin Moseley, Darren O'Day, and Chris Bootcheck. Collectively, they threw him 32 fastballs, six sliders, two change-ups, and one splitter.

Wednesday night, Justin Speier struck out Jack Cust with a fastball, slider, splitter, fastball, slider sequence. Otherwise, the remaining pitchers had no luck with him. Santana also showed him some off-speed stuff, but he threw two sliders and two change-ups for three called balls and one swinging strike.

The rest of what Cust saw the last two days was fastball, fastball, fastball. He took 18 of 32 fastballs for a ball. One was called a strike, and he swung and missed at another. He fouled off six fastballs and put another six of them into play.

Here are the strike zone locations of the fastballs he saw the last two days in Anaheim. The chart is from the catcher's perspective.

Cust Fastball Pitch Location April 30 and May 1

He did his usual good job of laying off pitches out of the strike zone, and in these games he did a better job of putting the bat on the fastball.

And here is what he did with the pitches he put in play.

Cust Balls in Play April 30 and May 1

He pulled the ball and hit it hard. That would seem to be a good sign, one that has been missing most of the last month, even though it comes from a very small sample of two games.

I don't know whether Cust's April slump is over. As Yogi Berra supposedly said, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."

Mike Fast is a Kansas City Royals fan who enjoys investigating baseball questions using PITCHf/x data. He welcomes questions and comments via e-mail.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Wait. What??? Espn talked about someone not on the Yankees or Red Sox? You've got to be kidding me! This has to be a joke.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Sun May 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Another HR today. He may be starting to go on one of his runs.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 pm

i picked him up the minute he hit the first homerun, if there is anyguy in the game who can hit 8 hrs in a week its him, there is no more streaky longball hitter then Mr.Cust.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon May 05, 2008 12:07 am

News: Athletics OF Jack Cust is particular about his bats, and the first shipment just wasn't working. He received another shipment just in time to start a hitting streak last week. The new bats are keepers. "They sent me four bats while we were in Seattle and they felt harder," Cust said. "You can ask anyone, I'm probably the pickiest when it comes to bats. I like the way these feel." Cust hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning against the Rangers on Sunday -- his third in four games. "The ones I used in spring training and in April were too soft," Cust said. "Maybe I just tricked myself, but I hit a ball during a day game that should have gone out. Someone made an adjustment. My bats feel real good now. Hopefully they'll send more out."

Analysis: Cust didn't blame the old bats for his .155 slump to open the season, saying it was just a coincidence that he's feeling more comfortable now, hitting .458 with three home runs over his last seven games. "I've hit 10 home runs in April and I've batted .100 in April," the 12-year professional said. "I made a minor adjustment, and I feel better. Last year, I started 0-for-18, then got hot and then I was in the majors with Oakland. It's crazy how things work out sometimes." Cust is a ridiculously streaky hitter with amazing power once he gets rolling. If you own him, you do so just for these kinds of streaks, so get him active before he cools off again -- and he will.

:-? :-? :-?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Box » Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
News: Athletics OF Jack Cust is particular about his bats, and the first shipment just wasn't working. He received another shipment just in time to start a hitting streak last week. The new bats are keepers. "They sent me four bats while we were in Seattle and they felt harder," Cust said. "You can ask anyone, I'm probably the pickiest when it comes to bats. I like the way these feel." Cust hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning against the Rangers on Sunday -- his third in four games. "The ones I used in spring training and in April were too soft," Cust said. "Maybe I just tricked myself, but I hit a ball during a day game that should have gone out. Someone made an adjustment. My bats feel real good now. Hopefully they'll send more out."

Analysis: Cust didn't blame the old bats for his .155 slump to open the season, saying it was just a coincidence that he's feeling more comfortable now, hitting .458 with three home runs over his last seven games. "I've hit 10 home runs in April and I've batted .100 in April," the 12-year professional said. "I made a minor adjustment, and I feel better. Last year, I started 0-for-18, then got hot and then I was in the majors with Oakland. It's crazy how things work out sometimes." Cust is a ridiculously streaky hitter with amazing power once he gets rolling. If you own him, you do so just for these kinds of streaks, so get him active before he cools off again -- and he will.

:-? :-? :-?

Apparently Jobu came and took the fear from his new bats.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ddwadley » Mon May 05, 2008 10:47 am

The Guru wrote:Why doesn't he start over scrubs like emil brown and denorforia?

Emil Brown is on a tear, why on earth let Cust play?? Bench Cust, or drop him.
ddwadley
T-Ball Trainer

Postby silverZ » Mon May 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Cust has a pretty significant RHP/LHP split. I'll been platooning him with Ethier and Lind in my 2 UTIL spots until Bruce gets called up.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers