Where's the Cueto-Honks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:27 am

There are two groups of fantasy owners who have Cueto. The first are those who drank the kool-aid and expected Cueto to post prime Pedro numbers in 2008. These guys were obviously unrealistic and by now have probably already dropped him. The second group -- of which I am a member -- had much more realistic expectations and paid next to nothing for a potential stud (emphasis on potential).

Smart owners buy skills. Not hype or even line stats for the first month. The guy has great stuff. I've seen him pitch in every one of his starts. When he's "on" he's nearly untouchable. He's looked very sharp in all games except the last against Houston. But he will have "off" starts and anyone who didn't expect them was just foolish. And keep in mind that Houston was just killing the ball and the day earlier had roughed up Peavy. Are you really gonna hold that start against him? I'm certainly giving him the benefit of the doubt.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 3235
Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:There are two groups of fantasy owners who have Cueto. The first are those who drank the kool-aid and expected Cueto to post prime Pedro numbers in 2008. These guys were obviously unrealistic and by now have probably already dropped him. The second group -- of which I am a member -- had much more realistic expectations and paid next to nothing for a potential stud (emphasis on potential).

Smart owners buy skills. Not hype or even line stats for the first month. The guy has great stuff. I've seen him pitch in every one of his starts. When he's "on" he's nearly untouchable. He's looked very sharp in all games except the last against Houston. But he will have "off" starts and anyone who didn't expect them was just foolish. And keep in mind that Houston was just killing the ball and the day earlier had roughed up Peavy. Are you really gonna hold that start against him? I'm certainly giving him the benefit of the doubt.


Agreed. I really like this kid a lot. He is going to be fine even in shallow leagues.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby kraken6100 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:25 am

I think Cueto has been sensational given his relative inexperience, and the fact that GABP is basically the Arlington of the midwest (ok ok, comiskey is a sandbox too). I did in fact trade him for Ervin Santana, but I'm gunna ride out the possibility that he really HAS learned how to pitch away from home and will continue to bring in wins and decent numbers with the lineup he has hitting for him (@Santana). I'm not sure I'm entirely confident or happy with the move I made, but we'll see, it just felt right for me at the time. By no means is the kid gunna peter out or be a bust... he's gunna be right up there with volquez and harang (imo) by time the dog-days come around, and then we'll see how he does in his first year of big-league work with these expectations... Pangbones made a great point analogous to the dangers of pitching in GABP but he's managed to keep control of it thus far, and is talented enough to make adjustments. I really think this kid is this year's Lincecum/Gallardo+. Boy now I kinda wish I'd kept him around, heh. Good luck!
kraken6100 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 81
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby Montana » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 am

I agree with everything Yoda and co, are saying............but I will note that I think once Bailey gets the call back up, he'll be more valuable the rest of the way.

I won't be surprised in the least if Bailey ends up being their best pitcher this season not named Harang.
Image
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1284
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby Ajobshala » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Anyone thinking about dropping Cueto may want to look at Lincecum's monthly splits from last year. The point is that young, inexperienced pitchers struggle (sometimes mightily) from time to time. All it means is that you have to be patient during the bad stretches and be cautious in how you use him.
Ajobshala
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby denicola_dominates » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:30 pm

i agree he will have plenty of valuee that much is truee but he is rasther inconsistent this season and his rotation partner volquez is 4-0 and i believe the better of the dynamic duo he should wield the greater position in any league at THIS POINT IN TIME. cuz it may change very soon yaa knoo wit these young pitchers roaming aboutt
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

Image
denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 547
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: yankee stadium, Bronx

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby guffee » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 pm

All young pitchers have the bump in the road.

Lincecum had 3 good starts, then 4 bad ones in a row. He got over the hump and was pretty strong the rest of the way. Hold and be patient.


Harang is good but i wouldn't say ACE. He is on the lower side of ACE if you are in desperate need. A 3.50-4.00 ERA with a 1.20+ whip isn't what you expect out of your ace. He is a great number 2 pitcher.
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 54
Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby shasty mcnasty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 pm

denicola_dominates wrote:i agree he will have plenty of valuee that much is truee but he is rasther inconsistent this season and his rotation partner volquez is 4-0 and i believe the better of the dynamic duo he should wield the greater position in any league at THIS POINT IN TIME. cuz it may change very soon yaa knoo wit these young pitchers roaming aboutt


isn't it a little early in the day? I think there's a good thread for you over in the General Talk area...
O:-)
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1206
Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:37 pm

denicola_dominates wrote:i agree he will have plenty of valuee that much is truee but he is rasther inconsistent this season and his rotation partner volquez is 4-0 and i believe the better of the dynamic duo he should wield the greater position in any league at THIS POINT IN TIME. cuz it may change very soon yaa knoo wit these young pitchers roaming aboutt


I am unsure why but reading your posts makes my head hurt.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby mtxdevil » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:21 pm

guffee wrote:All young pitchers have the bump in the road.

Lincecum had 3 good starts, then 4 bad ones in a row. He got over the hump and was pretty strong the rest of the way. Hold and be patient.


Harang is good but i wouldn't say ACE. He is on the lower side of ACE if you are in desperate need. A 3.50-4.00 ERA with a 1.20+ whip isn't what you expect out of your ace. He is a great number 2 pitcher.


I would say Harang is a #1 guy for fantasy purposes. How many SPs would you take ahead of him? GIven that there are probably 10 or so pitchers I would take above him and there are usually 12 some teams in a league, he would be a #1 pitcher.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1095
Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 15:46 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact