Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby MTUCache » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:44 am

Cueto's last few games:

4/8 (MIL), ND, 6.1IP, 5H, 2ER, 8K
4/13 (PIT), L, 6.0IP, 6H+BB, 5ER, 6K
4/19 (MIL), ND, 7.0IP, 7H+BB, 2ER, 5K
4/24 (HOU), L, 7.0IP, 7H+BB, 5ER, 2K

I know 4 or 5 games isn't enough time to really get a feel for this kid, but the bloom is definitely off the rose. He seems to be tailing off quickly.

He's obviously a horse, going 6+ in every game, with a very good WHIP to go along with a rather poor ERA. I can't sell "high" on him to anyone that isn't a member of his fan club anymore, and starting him feels rather risky given my ridiculously good ERA/WHIP. Without 1+K/IP, his value to me is virtually nil if he's not going to be getting Wins.

How many more mediocre starts is it going to take before I'm allowed to cut this kid without getting crucified? He has every possibility of turning it around, going 7+, striking out 9+, and getting the Win, but if he doesn't do that soon I'm going to need to clear some space on my roster. The last thing I need is an Inning-Eater with a 5+ ERA.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the Cueto-Honks?

Postby cwrtlm » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 am

Glad I sold him high for Verlander and Lilly. Volquez actually has looked better since Cueto's hot first start! I just don't see any Cincy pitcher being great outside of Harang!
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdsun1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:37 pm

cwrtlm wrote:Glad I sold him high for Verlander and Lilly. Volquez actually has looked better since Cueto's hot first start! I just don't see any Cincy pitcher being great outside of Harang!

Harang is way overrated and Cueto and Volquez will both have a ton of value this year. Luckily most people didnt have to invest much in them. To get Verlander though for any of these guys is a joke and your leagues are a waste of time. :-t
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:31 pm

jdsun1 wrote:Harang is way overrated and Cueto and Volquez will both have a ton of value this year. Luckily most people didnt have to invest much in them. To get Verlander though for any of these guys is a joke and your leagues are a waste of time. :-t

Whaaaaaat? I disagree with absolutely every point you just made.

Harang is consistently one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball. Have you seen what he's been able to do in Great American on a consistent basis? His numbers this year are 42.IP 37K 2.76ERA 0.99WHIP. Aside from a lack of wins, he's a borderline top 5 guy...

Next, Cueto and Volquez will not put up close to the numbers many have them hyped to be. They are young and there will be quite a few bumps in the road for them, like most young pitchers.

Most people that ended up with Cueto absolutely did have to use a high (if not #1) waiver priority. You wouldn't consider that much?

Finally, I love how people like to bash other leagues because they find a trade unworthy of their approval. Why don't you lighten up and worry about your own team instead of ragging on someone else?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby deutschland » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:13 pm

jdsun1 wrote:
cwrtlm wrote:Glad I sold him high for Verlander and Lilly. Volquez actually has looked better since Cueto's hot first start! I just don't see any Cincy pitcher being great outside of Harang!

Harang is way overrated and Cueto and Volquez will both have a ton of value this year. Luckily most people didnt have to invest much in them. To get Verlander though for any of these guys is a joke and your leagues are a waste of time. :-t

Harang is the best under the radar ace in the game.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Peter Gammon's Jr. » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:31 pm

deutschland wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:

Harang is the best under the radar ace in the game.

i agree, very underrated. hes put up 200+ks in the last 2 season ;-D
Peter Gammon's Jr.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Texican » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:Harang is way overrated and Cueto and Volquez will both have a ton of value this year. Luckily most people didnt have to invest much in them. To get Verlander though for any of these guys is a joke and your leagues are a waste of time. :-t

Whaaaaaat? I disagree with absolutely every point you just made.

Harang is consistently one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball. Have you seen what he's been able to do in Great American on a consistent basis? His numbers this year are 42.IP 37K 2.76ERA 0.99WHIP. Aside from a lack of wins, he's a borderline top 5 guy...

Next, Cueto and Volquez will not put up close to the numbers many have them hyped to be. They are young and there will be quite a few bumps in the road for them, like most young pitchers.

Most people that ended up with Cueto absolutely did have to use a high (if not #1) waiver priority. You wouldn't consider that much?

Finally, I love how people like to bash other leagues because they find a trade unworthy of their approval. Why don't you lighten up and worry about your own team instead of ragging on someone else?

Very well put
Texican
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Well anyone who expected Cueto to put up Jake Peavy numbers were obviously not in touch with reality.

Unfortunately for many of us we don't play in leagues where you can get Verlander for Cueto straight up. You got Cueto for almost nothing. He'll hit some bumps but he throws strikes and has excellent stuff. Rookie pitchers tend to be hot and cold so if you are not patient then you should just cut him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby siQ_innovation » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't see any reason to cut him loose yet. His WHIP is still very savvy and he helps out in the K department. He was way over-hyped to being with, but he hasn't really done anything to make us believe he'll stink up our pitching staffs.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:02 am

I wouldn't cut him yet. I've watched 4 of his starts and he's looked fantastic in everyone except the Houston game Thursday. He's a flyball pitcher, so he's going to give up his share of HR's, and have his share of bad outings. But as long as he's not walking people, and making bats miss, he should have plenty of value.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates