Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B??

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:00 am

No, I'm pretty sure it was a one time thing because the Dodgers had used up everybody on the bench already. I doubt he plays 3B again.

Looks like this is wrong.

From CBS Sportsline.
The L.A. Daily News reports that manager Joe Torre said one way to get Russell Martin a break from behind the plate, but still keep his bat in the lineup, is to give him starts at third base. Martin made his major league debut at third late in Friday's game. "When I was catching, they gave me my day off at first," Torre said. "The thing about catching, not only is it the physical part but the mental if you do your job right."

Analysis: Martin was actually drafted as a third baseman, but was switched to catcher by the Dodgers. "It's not like I was a catcher playing third, I was a third baseman who played catcher," Martin said. "It's not like it was that difficult to make the transition. I take ground balls every day so it's not like I lost the feel taking ground balls." He is a must-start in all Fantasy formats, despite what position in the field he is playing. Considering he's the only player at his position with 20-20 potential, you should start him in all formats. He now has a five-game hitting streak.

That great wooshing sound you hear is Martin's value going up.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:39 am

sliders51 wrote:
MTUCache wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:That is true, but having him play every day from your C spot would be pretty awesome.

Sure... I agree, but that's assuming that the Dodgers would actually play him there everyday, which is only going to happen if they absolutely can't come up with anybody to play 3B, and are willing to jeopardize their defensive catching (as well as pitch-calling and pitcher comfort).

I don't think Torre would let that happen. Martin may moonlight at 3B once a week or so (still giving you an extra game per week possibly), but will mainly catch.

No, I'm pretty sure it was a one time thing because the Dodgers had used up everybody on the bench already. I doubt he plays 3B again.

This is what I thought as well...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jnormy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:28 am

Matthias wrote:That great wooshing sound you hear is Martin's value going up.

Wouldn't it only be a slight uptick in value, if any? I realize that multiple eligibility is nice, but with third base so much deeper than catcher from a fantasy standpoint, why would a Martin owner want to play him anywhere other than catcher?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Matthias » Thu May 01, 2008 9:36 am

jnormy wrote:

Wouldn't it only be a slight uptick in value, if any? I realize that multiple eligibility is nice, but with third base so much deeper than catcher from a fantasy standpoint, why would a Martin owner want to play him anywhere other than catcher?

It's not because he would be played anywhere at catcher; it's because it means on his, "days off" he'll still be in the lineup playing 3B. Most of the low value for catchers stem from the fact that they don't play as often as other positions so their totals are pretty crunched/tightly bunched. (I think last year Martin led all catchers with games play at 145). And so if Martin is going to play 150 or so games because he can play some games at third, that increases his value significantly.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jnormy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:52 am

Matthias wrote:
jnormy wrote:

It's not because he would be played anywhere at catcher; it's because it means on his, "days off" he'll still be in the lineup playing 3B. Most of the low value for catchers stem from the fact that they don't play as often as other positions so their totals are pretty crunched/tightly bunched. (I think last year Martin led all catchers with games play at 145). And so if Martin is going to play 150 or so games because he can play some games at third, that increases his value significantly.

Oh right! Duh... don't know where my head was at. Thanks for bringing me back! ;-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Spectrum » Fri May 02, 2008 10:58 pm

wow this is great. Not in that I can use him at 3B, but being in the lineup on days he would have had off.

Good stuff.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat May 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Martin playing everyday is not a good thing. You can probably equate his terrible September last year to never having any days off. As a Martin owner, I'd rather have him benched over playing positions like first or third when he's not behind the plate so he doesn't screw me during fantasy playoffs.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Matthias » Sat May 03, 2008 9:18 pm

First, players have good months/bad months. It's kind of a leap to say that production in any particular month is attributable to one thing.

Second, playing 150 games at catcher and third is much different than 150 games at catcher.

The more Martin plays, the better.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates