Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B??

Postby sliders51 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:54 am

Nomar pulled a hammy or something and the Dodgers are out of 3Bs so Martin is playing 3rd now with Bennett catching.

For 1 game eligibility leagues...Martin picks up 3B eligibility.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nomar hurt....Russell Martin 3B??

Postby Cabby » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 am

Looks like Andy LaRoche will be called up sooner than later, I'm hoping anyways.
Cabby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kuji » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:57 am

Nomar got injured already X-I

Who wasn't expecting that to happen?
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sniksder4474 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:31 am

he just needs to retire... :-t
sniksder4474
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MTUCache » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 am

Martin gaining 3B eligibility means next to nothing for his value... if you're starting him at 3B you must really be hurting (not to mention having two top-five catchers).

Martin's projected line this year (85/18/85/12/.290) puts him well outside the top-10 3B, somewhere in the Lowell/Rolen/Tracy range. Not exactly a top option on your team for 3B unless you get an injury.

Unless you've got another top-5 catcher on your roster, you're going to have a much bigger dropoff going to a backup C and moving Martin to third than you would just picking up the next best 3B off the WW.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:00 pm

MTUCache wrote:Martin gaining 3B eligibility means next to nothing for his value... if you're starting him at 3B you must really be hurting (not to mention having two top-five catchers).

Martin's projected line this year (85/18/85/12/.290) puts him well outside the top-10 3B, somewhere in the Lowell/Rolen/Tracy range. Not exactly a top option on your team for 3B unless you get an injury.

Unless you've got another top-5 catcher on your roster, you're going to have a much bigger dropoff going to a backup C and moving Martin to third than you would just picking up the next best 3B off the WW.

That is true, but having him play every day from your C spot would be pretty awesome.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby MTUCache » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Simulacrum wrote:That is true, but having him play every day from your C spot would be pretty awesome.

Sure... I agree, but that's assuming that the Dodgers would actually play him there everyday, which is only going to happen if they absolutely can't come up with anybody to play 3B, and are willing to jeopardize their defensive catching (as well as pitch-calling and pitcher comfort).

I don't think Torre would let that happen. Martin may moonlight at 3B once a week or so (still giving you an extra game per week possibly), but will mainly catch.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sliders51 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 pm

MTUCache wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:That is true, but having him play every day from your C spot would be pretty awesome.

Sure... I agree, but that's assuming that the Dodgers would actually play him there everyday, which is only going to happen if they absolutely can't come up with anybody to play 3B, and are willing to jeopardize their defensive catching (as well as pitch-calling and pitcher comfort).

I don't think Torre would let that happen. Martin may moonlight at 3B once a week or so (still giving you an extra game per week possibly), but will mainly catch.

No, I'm pretty sure it was a one time thing because the Dodgers had used up everybody on the bench already. I doubt he plays 3B again.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rimrattlerla11 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:49 pm

sliders51 wrote:
MTUCache wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure it was a one time thing because the Dodgers had used up everybody on the bench already. I doubt he plays 3B again.

Agreed... it was a unique situation since there was no one left to play 3B...Dewitt is back up and in the starting lineup tonight.
Rimrattlerla11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:41 pm

We played Russell at 3B as a result of substitutions made in an extra innings game vs. Colorado and more likely than not, it was a one-off situation. Blake DeWitt is likely to hold down 3B while Nomar's on the DL and Laroche rehabs.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates