Benjie Molina - underrated - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benjie Molina - underrated

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benjie Molina - underrated

Postby BigTex24 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:34 pm

Anyone else agree? The guy is pretty clutch. He seems like an excellent pick for what his ADP was.
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Benjie Molina - underrated

Postby gatorgreenwell » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:37 pm

You got it. Very underrated. He hits for solid average and brings in good hr and rbi totals. I think some people might have been scared away from him this year by the lack of quality of the lineup around him, but how many catchers in the league are hitting in the cleanup spot. He's cleaning up for me.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:40 pm

I concur. While everyone was nabbing the trendy rookie catchers (Soso, Towles and Saltalamacchia) I knew I would be able to get Molina late and that he would probably outperform all of them.

Giants offense is awful, but he's hitting cleanup and could be good for 80-85 RBI, great production from catcher. Nice pop, and he is gold if your league counts batter strikeouts against you.

He's got the kind of quiet, don't-worry-about-it production you want from your late-round catcher.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigTex24 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:48 pm

duckbillgates wrote:I concur. While everyone was nabbing the trendy rookie catchers (Soso, Towles and Saltalamacchia) I knew I would be able to get Molina late and that he would probably outperform all of them.

Giants offense is awful, but he's hitting cleanup and could be good for 80-85 RBI, great production from catcher. Nice pop, and he is gold if your league counts batter strikeouts against you.

He's got the kind of quiet, don't-worry-about-it production you want from your late-round catcher.

Harang just intent walked Molina with a guy on 2nd with 2 outs..

FEAR MOLINA
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:02 am

Not really, he was in the top 10 C drafted in the leagues I'm in. Dont' think he went too early or too late, he isn't a top tier guy by any means.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:31 am

I loved picking him up in the last round of my 12 team league. Best production a last round pick can buy.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:34 am

Ender wrote:Not really, he was in the top 10 C drafted in the leagues I'm in. Dont' think he went too early or too late, he isn't a top tier guy by any means.

well considering the top tier is only vmart n rmart, obviously hes not top tier. with the second tier being jorge, mccann, and mauer, he doesnt quite fit there either. so after that, i think its all a crapshoot, with a few veterans and a few 'sexy' rooks. and considering, most ppl took the sexy rooks before the vets, i think molina is extremely underrated considering he went in the 20th+ round. the fact that ppl were willing to gamble on the sexy rookie just proves how underrated he was, why the hell wouldnt u take the catcher hitting cleanup unless u clearly underrated his abilities????
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:14 am

Got him in a 15 team league where we start 2 catchers in the 16th round. Couldn't have been happier at the time and couldn't be happier now either. :-D

So yes, it was very nice to see him be so underrated during drafts this year. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:32 am

Very underrated. Another effect of OMG he's old and his team stinks! He still has fine power for his position and hits for an acceptable avg. I'll take that in the last round of my draft.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 am

I'd say top tier is Martin, VMart, Posada, McCann, Mauer and maybe Johjima(though I didn't like where he was going much). Those were pretty much always the first 6 C gone in every league.

After that you would generally see pretty big variation as to who went but Soto and Molina were right there in that mix.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers