over/under on Bailey's call up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

over/under on Bailey's call up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: over/under on Bailey's call up

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun May 11, 2008 9:11 am

Nihil wrote:Here's Bailey's stats so far:
Something wrong with him? With him pitching like this, I think the Reds might be stuck with Belise for awhile.

After one bad start we're asking if something is wrong with him? The 4/25 and 5/5 starts were not that bad, with a K per inning each game. 3 BB's per game is obviously not desirable, but happens quite often, and to top ranked big league pitchers. IMO he pitched well enough to win both of those games, which is what you look for out of your starter. And those games were separated by an excellent outing on April 30, with 10 K and 2 BB. And regardless, its not like Belisle is putting up anything that resembles MLB numbers. The guy is a scrub. I reiterate, an encouraging sign from Bailey is his much improved control and higher K rate, striking out 41 versus 14 BB's.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nihil » Sun May 11, 2008 10:22 am

It's not just that last outing that has me concerned. He started walking more batters before that. If he was in the majors, I wouldn't worry at all. But, he went from dominating to not so dominating rather quickly. On the other hand, he struck out 10 guys in one of those games. Hell, maybe he's getting bored. Still, last year, his control was a big problem. If that problem is coming back, I'd prefer he stays at AAA to figure it out rather than come up and NOT be helpful in the rotation.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun May 11, 2008 3:30 pm

I agree, we don't want to see him walking more people. But its not like he walked 6 in one game and then followed it up with 8 the next. When you walk 2 or 3, a lot more could be behind the numbers than poor control, like a few calls not going your way. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see him dominating, but I'm not sure that he's jeopardizing his call up just yet.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Nihil » Sun May 11, 2008 5:11 pm

You are probably right. I certainly don't know the circumstances of the games. The numbers only tell you so much. I'll have to look into further.

I'd like to see him up in Cincinnati. I don't see Belisle having a future in the rotation. I'd much rather see Bailey spending some time against major leaguers and, at worst, having some experience for next season.

With the way this season is going, there are changes a-brewin' on the Reds roster. Bailey and Bruce will probably be up before the ASB.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun May 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Nihil wrote:With the way this season is going, there are changes a-brewin' on the Reds roster. Bailey and Bruce will probably be up before the ASB.

I think you're right on here. If the team isn't going to seriously contend I can't see any logic in keeping the kids in the minors. And I have Bailey stashed on my bench, so I'm itching to see him in action at the MLB level...
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Nihil » Tue May 13, 2008 11:11 am

For now, it looks like Belisle will be pitching Thursday. He is the probable pitcher on the Reds site and I don't see why you would wait until the last minute to bring up Bailey if you were going to do it. Unless, you just don't want him thinking about it too much. I really think this has to be Belisle's last start unless it goes real well for him.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers