orlando hudson

Postby sinjin17 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:21 pm

is he a viable 2nd baseman this yr
sinjin17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davegod2 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:45 pm

It depends on what you call viable. If a 250 batting average, 10 dingers and 10 steals is viable, then he's your guy.....
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Re: orlando hudson

Postby SheaColandri » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:31 pm

The O-Dog, a Gold Glove second-baser, has landed with his third different team in three years. By 2008 a veteran of the Arizona club, Hudson ran afoul of his first DL-worthy injury near season's end -- a fact which led to his inclusion in a multi-player deal with the Dodgers (also leaving him bereft of a Gold Glove, the only year since 2005 he hadn't locked it up). Bad deal by the Diamondbacks. Defensively, he was lightning in Dodger blue for the 2009 season (another Gold Glove, ho-hum). All very nice, but of little concern to fantasy owners, so....to offense. Hudson is a speedster, and an archetypal lead-off man. The Dodgers, though, already had two lead-off hitters (Rafael Furcal & Juan Pierre), and Hudson sacrificed personal glory for the good of the team. An excellent situational hitter (especially with men on first or second base), manager Joe Torre shuttled Hudson between the second & sixth/seventh slots in the batting order -- and the O-Dog performed well throughout. Still, there are things not apparent from statistics; Hudson was heavily tasked to bunt men over, hit & run, and remain conservative in base-stealing -- a stat-draining situation. Now, with the Twins, Hudson returns to his first, best spot: Leading off. With reasonable talent and that Joe Mauer pop backing him up (not to mention a bit of a chip on his shoulder), I expect the O-dog to become a greyhound this year. Look for vast improvements in SO, K, SB, and R categories for 2010.
SheaColandri
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ursa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:09 am

SheaColandri wrote:The O-Dog, a Gold Glove second-baser, has landed with his third different team in three years. By 2008 a veteran of the Arizona club, Hudson ran afoul of his first DL-worthy injury near season's end -- a fact which led to his inclusion in a multi-player deal with the Dodgers (also leaving him bereft of a Gold Glove, the only year since 2005 he hadn't locked it up). Bad deal by the Diamondbacks. Defensively, he was lightning in Dodger blue for the 2009 season (another Gold Glove, ho-hum). All very nice, but of little concern to fantasy owners, so....to offense. Hudson is a speedster, and an archetypal lead-off man. The Dodgers, though, already had two lead-off hitters (Rafael Furcal & Juan Pierre), and Hudson sacrificed personal glory for the good of the team. An excellent situational hitter (especially with men on first or second base), manager Joe Torre shuttled Hudson between the second & sixth/seventh slots in the batting order -- and the O-Dog performed well throughout. Still, there are things not apparent from statistics; Hudson was heavily tasked to bunt men over, hit & run, and remain conservative in base-stealing -- a stat-draining situation. Now, with the Twins, Hudson returns to his first, best spot: Leading off. With reasonable talent and that Joe Mauer pop backing him up (not to mention a bit of a chip on his shoulder), I expect the O-dog to become a greyhound this year. Look for vast improvements in SO, K, SB, and R categories for 2010.

As a Minny fan, this would make me very happy. I'd point out that Denard Span will lead off for the Twins though, with Hudson at #2.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Re:

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:42 am

davegod2 wrote:It depends on what you call viable. If a 250 batting average, 10 dingers and 10 steals is viable, then he's your guy.....

.250 BA? :-?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby jcook3127 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 am

SheaColandri wrote:The O-Dog, a Gold Glove second-baser, has landed with his third different team in three years. By 2008 a veteran of the Arizona club, Hudson ran afoul of his first DL-worthy injury near season's end -- a fact which led to his inclusion in a multi-player deal with the Dodgers (also leaving him bereft of a Gold Glove, the only year since 2005 he hadn't locked it up). Bad deal by the Diamondbacks. Defensively, he was lightning in Dodger blue for the 2009 season (another Gold Glove, ho-hum). All very nice, but of little concern to fantasy owners, so....to offense. Hudson is a speedster, and an archetypal lead-off man. The Dodgers, though, already had two lead-off hitters (Rafael Furcal & Juan Pierre), and Hudson sacrificed personal glory for the good of the team. An excellent situational hitter (especially with men on first or second base), manager Joe Torre shuttled Hudson between the second & sixth/seventh slots in the batting order -- and the O-Dog performed well throughout. Still, there are things not apparent from statistics; Hudson was heavily tasked to bunt men over, hit & run, and remain conservative in base-stealing -- a stat-draining situation. Now, with the Twins, Hudson returns to his first, best spot: Leading off. With reasonable talent and that Joe Mauer pop backing him up (not to mention a bit of a chip on his shoulder), I expect the O-dog to become a greyhound this year. Look for vast improvements in SO, K, SB, and R categories for 2010.

hahahahaha...I'm sorry I know you were serious, and this was a good post...but it was very comical the way it read.

Anyway if I miss on Chase/Kins/Pedo/Cano/Brob/Bphil/Figgy/Uggla/Hill/Zobrist/Stewart/Howie/Asdrubal/JOLO....I'd def be waiting for Hudson at some point..
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 pm

.250 AVG? how do you figure he is going to have a .250 AVG?
in the last 3 seasons he has had- .283 AVG, .305 AVG, .294 AVG. his career is .282 AVG.
.250 AVG? i highly doubt it.
i dont think anyone is drafting Hudson for HR or SB, but batting 2nd with his ability to get on base he could be good in R. the last 3 seasons his OBP has been- 09=.357/ 08=.367/ 07=.376
if he can stay healthy and remain someone to get on base he could do really well in R.
he is someone you can draft late and not kill you at 2B. hes going undrafted in alot of leagues. hes even more useful as MI if your league has that.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)

Postby soty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 am

I picked him up with Kinsler out hopefully he can produce for the time being. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers