Salty call up.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Salty call up....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Salty call up....

Postby Return of the King » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Jarrod Saltalamacchia (C) TEX
Saltalamacchia won't see any time at first base but is expected to drastically cut into Gerald Laird's time behind the plate, the team's web site reports. "[Saltalamacchia]'s not going to come up here and sit like a veteran backup would," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. While Salty hasn't been named the everyday catcher yet, an official announcement to that effect could come soon.
Return of the King
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Return of the King wrote:Jarrod Saltalamacchia (C) TEX
Saltalamacchia won't see any time at first base but is expected to drastically cut into Gerald Laird's time behind the plate, the team's web site reports. "[Saltalamacchia]'s not going to come up here and sit like a veteran backup would," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. While Salty hasn't been named the everyday catcher yet, an official announcement to that effect could come soon.

The Rangers organization makes my head hurt. Didn't they send him down to start the season because they wanted him to be an everyday player? This screams platoon to me. He should at least be DHing on off days.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Return of the King » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:32 pm

you have the worst record in baseball...what do you have to lose by starting salty.
Return of the King
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djack909 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 pm

I dumped Synder for Salty. I figure that Saltys stats as a 50/50 catcher is better than Snyders at 70/30.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:12 pm

In the lineup tonight and batting 6th ;-D
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/neal/
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Za_German » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:52 pm

duckbillgates wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Rangers already have two top catching prospects in their system (Max Ramirez and Taylor Teagarden (great baseball name!).

I'm not sure I understand why the Rangers are so adamant on leaving Saltalamacchia at catcher, particularly with their hole at first base (which is ironic as Travis Hafner, Adrian Gonzalez and Teixiera have all passed through their system).

Best case scenario for this season would be Salty splitting time between C/1B/DH. If he's getting more at-bats than your average catcher, he becomes quite valuable. If not, I'm not so sure ...

Good insight here. Even a front office as inept as the Rangers has to realize that putting Salty @ 1B and giving him a full season of swings is nothing but a good thing, especially, as you pointed out, they have some catchers coming up and Laird isn't a total schmoe (right?). I would put my money on Salty being in the lineup on a consistent basis this season, what he does with the AB's is the question.

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates