Salty call up.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Salty call up....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Salty call up....

Postby TBallgame » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:35 pm

rentz wrote:GM John daniels has now confirmed to the fort worth star telegram, salty will be active tonight.
still pending a roster move but they say he will be on the 25man and in uniform for tonights game

he's worth a pickup if you have someone droppable but dont go dropping a needed player for him just yet, as the status of melhuse is still in the air and he hasnt been dl'd yet/

Awesome, thanks again ;-D
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:13 pm

From Dallas Morning News:
Jarrod Saltalamacchia is here and he's not going anywhere. The plan is to split time (though how exactly they do that hasn't been determined yet) with Gerald Laird. Adam Melhuse will either get his release or be designated for assignment, whichever helps him make a major league club easier.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:35 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:From Dallas Morning News:
Jarrod Saltalamacchia is here and he's not going anywhere. The plan is to split time (though how exactly they do that hasn't been determined yet) with Gerald Laird. Adam Melhuse will either get his release or be designated for assignment, whichever helps him make a major league club easier.

Theyve now released melhuse. and dont be surprised if laird gets moved to another team come trade deadline.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 pm

rentz wrote:
StarsNPinstripes wrote:From Dallas Morning News:

Theyve now released melhuse. and dont be surprised if laird gets moved to another team come trade deadline.

Is Saltalamacchia only going to backup Laird or will he see playing time in other spots(ie-1B)? Thanks for any info.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby claudish21 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 pm

With Jason Botts and his .138 average DHing. Broussard and his scorching .161 average i expect salty to get plenty of playing time at C, DH & 1B
claudish21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rentz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
Is Saltalamacchia only going to backup Laird or will he see playing time in other spots(ie-1B)? Thanks for any info.

At this point i'm not sure. because the teams been very adamant that he's a catcher not a firstbaseman. the teams future 1b is in AA (chris davis)
but it wouldnt surprise me to see him he's in spot duty at first, but they're prime concern has been improving his defense behind the plate
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Music to my ears
From mlb.com
The Rangers recalled Jarrod Saltalamacchia on Friday, apparently with the intention of seeing whether the centerpiece of last summer's Mark Teixeira trade is ready to become a full-time catcher in the Major Leagues.
"He's not going to come up here and sit like a veteran backup would," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080425&content_id=2586833&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:46 pm

rentz wrote:
StarsNPinstripes wrote:

At this point i'm not sure. because the teams been very adamant that he's a catcher not a firstbaseman. the teams future 1b is in AA (chris davis)
but it wouldnt surprise me to see him he's in spot duty at first, but they're prime concern has been improving his defense behind the plate

Thanks for the insight ;-D

It's just frustrating that such a young talent is being blocked by Laird(I understand dead manager walking Washington loves him but still) and Broussard especially on a team that seems to be going nowhere and should IMO play there young talent to see what they have and get fans excited.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AllDay » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 am

Salt will be 'time-sharing' the C position with Laird, apparently. I read he will be getting more C duties than Melhuse was - so it sounds like he is going to be more than Laird's back-up.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:53 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the Rangers already have two top catching prospects in their system (Max Ramirez and Taylor Teagarden (great baseball name!).

I'm not sure I understand why the Rangers are so adamant on leaving Saltalamacchia at catcher, particularly with their hole at first base (which is ironic as Travis Hafner, Adrian Gonzalez and Teixiera have all passed through their system).

Best case scenario for this season would be Salty splitting time between C/1B/DH. If he's getting more at-bats than your average catcher, he becomes quite valuable. If not, I'm not so sure ...
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates